Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Backyard Feathered Surprises

A few weeks ago, I discovered this yellow beauty in the backyard of my home in Kingston, Ontario that I will be moving into on June 29.


I’d never seen an American Goldfinch (yes, that’s what the bird in the photo above is for those of you who are as clueless about birds as I am). Come to think of it, I’m not even sure I’d even heard of them.

Apparently, during the mating season, the male goldfinch has a canary yellow body with a black forehead, wings and tail. But outside of the breeding season, he’s rather dull looking; his feathers are a drab yellow-brown and the black cap may disappear completely.

Isn’t that something? The little bugger actually dresses up in the spring to impress the ladies.

Well, needless to say that the discovery of these feathered cuties led to this:


Yup, it didn’t take long to run out and pick up a finch feeder to bribe them into coming into my backyard where I can enjoy viewing them all day long. And they do come all day long, one after the other. To eat and eat and eat...

They are as entertaining as they are stunning, so it’s worth all the seed they consume.

No comments:

Post a Comment