Saturday, May 30, 2009

If You Feed Them, They Will Come

Having lived in a rented dwelling for the past ten years without a backyard and all the other joys that owning a house has to offer, you can well imagine that I’m a little overwhelmed now that we finally have our own home. And excited. And perhaps acquiring a few obsessions along the way, like these:


Bird feeders galore!


So far, I’ve put up three all-purpose feeders that will accommodate a variety of seeds, two hummingbird feeders, an oriole feeder, a finch feeder and a suet feeder. I’ve also added a large bird bath near our kitchen window and hung a very small one near the finch feeder. And I’m afraid that it’s only the beginning; I may add more bird stuff. Well, I’m not afraid, actually, my husband is. I’m having a grand old time.

But you know, despite my family’s fear that I may be developing yet another obsession, similar to my betta and houseplant craze (couldn’t settle for just one betta fish and a few houseplants), they’re enjoying the end result of this super bird-friendly backyard. One thing’s for sure: ‘If you feed them, the birds will come’. To date we’ve managed to see Cardinals, Orioles, Goldfinches, Robins, Sparrows, Blue Jays, Red-Winged Blackbirds, Hummingbirds, Mourning Doves and an assortment of other birds that I’ve yet to identify. Our backyard is brimming with beautiful colours and a flurry of activity, not to mention all the soothing bird sounds.

Sure I may be going a little overboard, but it seems to me that everyone is enjoying the benefits of my madness.

2 comments:

  1. This is too funny isn't it ? .. we both see each other's back yards and bird feeders via our blogs .. I am laughing as I type this !
    I'm so glad you started a blog so I can actually see how things are going .. next it will be live cam of your feeders so we can see birds 24/7 having a great time at the garden resteraunt that you have going Martha !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joy! This is so much fun; a lot more than I expected. And you know, it hasn't been as difficult to keep up with as I expected. I've been writing a few posts at a time and scheduling each one for a different day. So whenever I have some free time, which is rare these days, I can whip up a few posts for my blog...even if they have to be short and sweet.

    I intend to add more and more photos of the backyard, especially of the areas that will eventually be restructured (garden-wise). It'll be like a before and after view. Hopefully the after is the improvement...har har har...

    ReplyDelete