Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Garden Is Not Totally Hopeless

Okay, so I’ve been sighing. And whining. And pouting. And boring you all to tears about my sad-looking garden. And it really is a sad-looking garden. But not totally hopeless.

There is this:


A Lilac tree.

I’ve never had one of these in my garden and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I do like the pretty flowers that are produced, and how nice they smell. But after the flowers fade, the tree looks pretty ordinary. At least to me.

I would like to give it a hard pruning to make it more compact but I’ve read that it may hinder flower production, sometimes for as long as two years. Other sources say that hard pruning is a great way to rejuvenate the plant. Whatever that means.

Still. I haven’t decided if I like this tree or not. With or without flowers. But I intend to keep it.

If anyone has advice on pruning, please share it with me!

2 comments:

  1. We had a row of lilacs at the house where I grew up (and lived until I was 11); one of my earlier memories is of breaking into a neighbor's house with my mother so she could leave a vase of lilacs on their kitchen table. No idea about the pruning thing, but I do loves me some lilacs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have to admit that now that I'm moved into our home the tree looks nicer than I first thought. Since it's quite attractive even without flowers, I think I'm just going to go ahead and give it a hard pruning when the time is right; I'll have to do some research on that.

    ReplyDelete