Saturday, June 6, 2009

Psst... Need Some Dice?

I confess. I’m a board game junkie. I not only enjoy playing these types of games, I also own quite a few. In addition to an assortment of Trivial Pursuit games that I’ve accumulated over the years, which are by far my favourites, I have classics like Monopoly, Scrabble, Risk, Battleship, Clue, Trouble, Sorry!, Pay Day and The Game Of Life. These games hold sentimental value because I played them as a child, and now I’m playing them with my own kids.


Other games in my collection include Backgammon, Chess, Guess Who?, Mastermind, Checkers, Pictionary , Scattergories , Hedbanz, Yahtzee , Kerplunk, Mouse Trap, Snakes and ladders, Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader? and Mad Gab, all of which I’ve tried. Most of them are entertaining enough, but not all of them have the ability to hold your interest for long. For example: Mouse Trap, Guess Who?, Kerplunk and Snakes and Ladders can only be tolerated for a little while before they get on your nerves. I mean, how many times can you build that Mouse Trap with enthusiasm, even if you’re a young child? Pull out sticks just to (yawn) see some marbles drop? Or climb up ladders and fall down snakes?

I especially enjoy Pictionary and Hedbanz, both of which are fun family or party games. Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader? is also fun to play with your kids or some friends but I find that they don’t provide enough questions, so you end up asking the same questions sooner than you’d like. All the rest of the games are fine; some newer, some older, all reasonably engaging.

And just when I thought I was through with buying any more games, I run across this:


And of course, I had to have it.

Smart Ass turned out to be a huge success; everyone loves it. It’s a highly amusing, fast paced game with Who, What and Where questions that all come with ten clues. As the clues are read, any player can yell out the answer. If the answer is wrong the player is eliminated from that round, so you have to be sure before you call something out. But if you wait too long, the ‘smart ass’ next to you might beat you to the answer and move ahead on the board. Whoever reaches the donkey’s butt in the center of the game wins. There are also spaces on the board called “Dumb Ass” (can’t participate in the next round), “Hard Ass” (you get a bonus question) and “Kick Ass” (must move back three spaces). This game definitely is worth trying out and I had to share it with my blog visitors.

Incidentally, I’m pretty ruthless when I play, taking down my opponents without batting an eye - even if the opponents are my own kids. Hey, it’s a cold, cruel world out there. May as well prepare them for it.

4 comments:

  1. I am laughing as I am posting a comment here .. speed reading BUT the name of the game really caught my name ! I love it !!
    I know so many people it would apply to .. haha !
    Hey girl .. have you joined Blotanical yet ??
    It takes me a while to get to other blogs again .. don't ask me what I do with my time ... maybe answering LONG e-mails takes a lot of it up ??? hahahaha !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy, this game is a lot of fun! And it was the name of the game that caught my eye, for sure. Seems fitting for some of the people in my life…:) Just wait until I’m settled in Kingston; we’ll get a chance to play it.

    I joined Blotanical last night. I’m just waiting to hear whether my blog has been accepted or not. I visit Blotanical from time to time to see if there’s anything interesting. That’s how I found your site!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love board games too, and have to plug my favorite - Settlers of Catan. It's absolutely fun to play, takes a while and engages the thinking. I know it won a schwack of awards too.

    Came here via Blotanical - welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi tatiana, thanks for the suggestion. That's all I needed - temptation for yet another game! Har har har...

    And thanks for the welcome to Blotanical. I've been visiting there for a long time; finally signed up.

    ReplyDelete