Saturday, July 25, 2009

I Fought The Garden And The Garden Won

Okay, so I was feeling kind of smug after I successfully reconstructed the planting area under my kitchen window and decided to put those (obviously wonderful) gardening talents to use in another area in the back. This one:

Picture taken in May

Picture taken in July. Things have gotten worse.

With tools in hand, I stepped out into my backyard, ready for the day’s mission. I started off with my usual ‘Okay garden, it’s you against me’ threat - with ‘the good, the bad and the ugly’ music playing in the background, of course. Yadda, yadda, yadda...

Well.

I surveyed the mess from a distance and thought (arrogantly) “bah...a walk in the park...” But as I got closer, I wasn’t so sure anymore. From far away, the area about to be attacked reconstructed looked much smaller and not very intimidating. Up close, it was a different story. Because up close, it was much, much bigger than I had anticipated. There should be a warning sign that reads: “Caution: Garden mess is larger than it appears”, so that self-proclaimed (bigheaded) garden experts like me will approach humbly so as not to put our little feet in our big mouth and make fools of ourselves. Gardeners have pride, you know.

So.

I took a deep breath and mumbled to self “Whatever you do, don’t show fear; untamed gardens can smell it...” Self nodded.

Then.

I proceeded with the upheaval and by the time I removed all that endless amount of unyielding evil landscape frabric covered with weeds and grass and mulch, I wanted to throw my gardening tools across the lawn, torch the backyard and run around screaming at the top of my lungs until ‘they’ took me away.

And.

A few hours later, exhausted, bruised (especially my ego) and slightly sunburned, I threw in the trowel...er towel. I did manage to dig up some unwanted plants, chop down most of what was left to prepare it for removal and rake old mulch into neat little ready-to-be-disposed piles. The end result was this:



While there is a significant improvement, it’s far from over. There is still a lot of work to be done before this area is ready for planting. That was a few days ago. I’m still recovering from all the aches and pains.

Ugh.

I fought the garden and the garden won.

But I’ll be back.

You hear that garden?

4 comments:

  1. Ha, ha, ha...funny post! It reminds me of some of the knock-down, drag-out fights I've had with excess vegetation. But, to me, it looks like you were the winner here, Martha. It looks so much better, and I know you're going to make it into something lovely.

    By the way, I loved "I threw in the trowel..."
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, it was a hilarious day. My husband (who works from home) would step out every once in awhile to take a break and check up on me (with sympathy in his eyes). By the time I finished, I was in quite a sorry state!

    But you're right. I really did win the battle. Not the war (yet), but definitely the battle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny - I find all yardwork to be like that so far - just like doing reno's it'll take twice as long and cost three times as much as planned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tatiana, I tell you, I'm soar from head to toe. I've been cleaning up the planting areas for quite awhile now and I feel like a bus has run me over. The garden was neglected for so long that it's gone wild!

    But I'm getting there...one pruning snip at a time...:)

    ReplyDelete