Thursday, July 9, 2009

Pretty Petunias

Okay, so now that I’m finally here in my new home every single day, and able to take tons of photos of the backyard, the backyard’s wildlife, my sad-looking garden, Kingston attractions and so on, doesn’t my digital camera decide to up and die on me. Just like that. No warning. No gradual decline. Just POOF and it just doesn’t work anymore.

ARGH!

Well, this really upsets me, especially because I can’t show you a photo of the absolutely gorgeous, mammoth-sized hanging basket of petunias I bought today at Home Depot. This is the first flower addition to my sad-looking garden and I must say it was really exciting since I haven’t grown anything outdoors for the past ten years.

Until such time as I’m once again equipped with a digital camera, I’m going to have to download photos from sites that offer free images to digital-camera-deprived people. Like me, right now.

Alright, petunias.

Don’t you just love these cuties? They are one of the most popular annuals, which is not surprising; they’re remarkably easy to grow, they bloom from spring until fall, they smell nice and they come in an assortment of pretty shades. Give them at least five or six hours of sunshine and they’ll shower you with trumpet-shaped flowers for months on end.

The flowers of the new addition to my backyard are a little like the flowers in the photo below (downloaded from a stock photo site...sigh...).


Darn camera of mine!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no...so sorry about your camera dying! I hope the fix will be simple and cheap.

    I love petunias, too. And so do the hummingbirds and bees. I put out flower boxes on my porch railings last year and planted petunias, along with other other flowers. Well, the petunias reseeded and came back on their own this year, so I (and the hummingbirds) have enjoyed free flowers this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, one of the main reasons I picked up the petunias is for the hummingbirds. I know they love them, and I hope they will come visit my backyard because of them. I've seen a few hummingbirds at their feeder, but their preference is the flowers. They're such pretty little things that I am willing to create a garden that will attract them.

    My digital camera is old and it may just need to be replaced. I had hoped that, at the very least, it would have lasted until winter. There are so many pictures to take right now, so it's not a good time.

    ReplyDelete