Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sensational Sunflowers

One of the most delightful things I ever did with my children (many years ago) is to grow sunflowers from seed. (A terrific flower, by the way, to grow with children.) We happened to run across a packet of seeds while grocery shopping and when the girls asked “Can we...?, I answered “Why not...”


Photo from SXC

We didn’t have an outdoor garden at the time, so we planted the seeds in containers on our front balcony that faced south, which is great because sunflowers need lots of sun. I was kind of skeptical, to be honest, because even though I had the perfect location for them, I’d never grown these flowers before.

Well, let me say this about sunflowers: A-MA-ZING!

Not only did all the seeds germinate but the plants that emerged from them grew with ease and produced some of the most majestic, breathtaking blooms I’d ever seen.


Photo from SXC

Unfortunately, the enjoyment of these sun-loving plants was short-lived. Because anyone who has ever grown sunflowers will tell you that ‘with the emergence of sunflowers comes the arrival of squirrels’. Pain in the neck, incorrigible squirrels. (But, darn, I love them anyway because they’re so cute).

Anyhow.

One morning I woke to find the flowers had been ripped right off the plants. All that was left were empty stems swaying in the wind. I tell you, it was one of the saddest things I've ever seen.


Photo from SXC

Still. Despite my first and only experience with sunflowers being less than ideal, I plan on growing sunflowers in my garden next spring. Because I can.

Squirrels or no squirrels.

2 comments:

  1. I am more than happy to know that you had been able to grow sunflowers..... Your girls must be very exited to see the amazing flowers.

    I have been trying and fail each time. Seeds simply refuse to germinate!!.. arrghh.

    Cheers,
    ~ bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi bangchik, yes my girls loved the sunflowers! They are such pretty flowers that you can’t help but adore them. I guess we got lucky with the seeds. I’ve only grown these flowers once, so we’ll just have to wait and see what happens next spring! Hopefully I’ll get lucky with them again!

    ReplyDelete