Monday, August 31, 2009

Coleus Dark Chocolate

Although I enjoy flowers in my garden, my weakness will always be plants with interesting foliage. Like this coleus growing under my kitchen window:


When I first planted this lovely ‘Coleus Dark Chocolate’, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I’d picked it up late in the season and it wasn’t in the best of shape to begin with. But because it was such an interesting plant (and priced just right), I just couldn’t resist. I said to self “let’s take one home and see what happens”. Self agreed.

Well, the days and weeks passed, and somewhere along the way this pretty little Coleus decided to settle into its new spot and thrive. Not only has it grown steadily since I planted it into the ground, but it’s also flowered recently. I’ve also discovered that it’s much happier when the temperature is cooler. On hot days, it looks – for lack of a better description - depressed. Not that plants can get emotionally depressed; at least I don’t think so.

In any case, this Coleus is an interesting addition in the garden, and I will definitely be picking one up next spring.

7 comments:

  1. Recently, I looked at my wardrobe and realized that I have too many chocolate brown things. There is no surprise that I like your coleus! I've never seen it blooming. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking coleus... Beetles love to hang around those little flowers in my garden. Ours is a blend of three colours.
    ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a rich and striking color on the coleus--I can see why you like it. I can relate to it being depressed on hot days---I feel the same way! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I lived in Kingston, I had a black and white garden. The coleus is dark enough to qualify. The white just made those dark colours even darker. I love coleus, so easy to grow and a huge range of colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tatyana,

    I don't think I have anything in my wardrobe that is chocolate-coloured. And I do so like that colour!

    ---------------

    Hi Bangchik,

    This really is a pretty coleus. I'd never seen this one before I picked it up. I wonder if it's new. There has been something chewing a few of the leaves. Perhaps it's the beetles you are talking about.

    ------------------

    Hi Beth,

    The colours are really nice when the weather is not too hot. In hotter weather, the leaves look tired.

    I feel the same way about very hot days; I don't like them. Up here we also have the opposite side of the spectrum with its freezing cold days. Those are bad days too.

    ------------------

    Hi Deborah,

    Coleus really is easy to grow. And it can be grown effortlessly indoors as well. I may take come clippings soon and start new plants with them. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that dark rich colour too ! Even being called chocolate is a huge plus ? LOL
    When I make the planters up for our front step I try to get a lot of dark coloured plants in them to contrast with the pale grays .. this one is super for that : )
    Have you seen "Volcano" coleus ? it is beautiful too : )
    I still have day lilies and a few other perennials lined up for you Martha .. the weather looks good for a long time .. maybe we can hook up soon for the plant mission ?
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hiya Joy! I know, I know, I am still working on an email to send you. I am so behind in everything that it's not even funny anymore. But now that my daughter is back in school, perhaps I can formulate some type of reasonable routine. I feel like I'm all over the place.

    I haven't seen 'Volcano' coleus, or even heard of it for that matter; I'll have to google it. And I would love to get together whenever you are feeling up to it, with or without the day lilies! It'll be nice just to see you again.

    ReplyDelete