Friday, August 21, 2009

A Feathery Visit At The Birdbath

Alright, so here I am again with yet another post about some bird or another that has dropped in for a visit in my backyard. Or better yet, has dropped in to eat or bathe in my backyard, not just to visit. Because who am I kidding? If it wasn’t for the goodies I put out for them, the birds wouldn’t come around. But, hey, if bribing is what it takes to bring them in, then that’s what it has to be.

Anyway.

Here’s one little feathery visitor that hangs around the finch feeder just about every day:


After some research, I believe it is a house finch. If anyone has other suggestions, let me know. In any case, this little critter is a real cutie. And it seems to have no problem accepting bribes.

5 comments:

  1. I'm no bird expert, but I think you might be right. I believe that is a male house finch. Funny...I also have a male house finch that loves my birdbath. In fact, he and Mrs. Finch built a nest and raised their family on our back patio light fixture right by the door and a few yards from the birdbath. I really do wonder if they chose that place because it was near the birdbath. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I think that may be at least one of the reasons they chose to build their nest there. I've heard that finches love to take baths, so choosing a spot near the birdbath isn't surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have lots of house finches and gold finches at the feeders and the birdbath too. They are lots of fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Martha girl !
    Hubby calls them "redpoles" .. but then again he should be looking at the bird book, I got him ? more often ? LOL
    Did you come through that rough weather we had last night alright ? .. we are so lucky not to be in the really bad zone for the scary stuff !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crafty Gardener, they are a lot of fun to watch! The finches are my favourite visitors in the backyard. They were my initial reason for adding so many bird feeders.

    ------------------

    Joy, how ya doing? I'm not 100% sure that it's a house finch; it just looks like one, so I'm assuming it is.

    Thankfully, the storm just passed us by. There was no damage at all. We really are lucky we're in a pretty safe zone!

    ReplyDelete