Sunday, August 2, 2009

One Planting Area At A Time

The garden and I have been at war for the past few weeks and although I’ve got cuts and bruises and sore muscles and what’s turning out to be a beautiful tan, I’m still standing – with spade in hand. Because no matter how much of a fight my untamed garden puts up, I’m not going to quit. There’s the ego thing, you know.

Anyway.

With tools in hand, I’ve spent many days removing unwanted green growth to make room for a new garden. And in between those garden-cleanup workouts, I’ve spent a few days trying to recover from all the aches and pains. Then I start all over again. I have, so far, filled 15 yard waste bags - and counting. This is pretty amazing considering how big these bags are. And on top of all that, the yard waste bags I’ve filled don’t even include all the bushes that have been dug up and piled along the fence in the backyard. Not that I’m trying to brag or anything. Well, maybe just a little.

I have taken tons of photos, some of which I will share with you over time. Here is one small planting space that has been revamped:

(What a mess)

(Cleanup is done. Time to turn the soil and add a fresh layer)

(Wow, what a difference)

(Have to add plants! Let's start with impatiens)

(And more impatiens)

(Can't resist a coleus)

(Hey, where'd this little critter come from?)

(A perennial would be nice. How about some butterfly weed?)

(Amongst some marigolds)

(Add an angel statue...)

(The most important ingredient in a garden)

(And end up with this...)

Not bad for a day’s work.

I’ve added mostly annuals in this little planting section because I haven’t decided what I want growing there on a permanent basis. The temporary flowers, aside from the butterfly weed, were planted to add some colour for this season. It seemed like such a shame to leave the area empty when there are still some annuals floating around at the stores.

As you can see, there is room for more plants, but until I determine what it is I want to do with this area, it will remain this way. At least it’s much more attractive than it was a few weeks ago.

2 comments:

  1. Your hard work is really paying off, Martha---it looks lovely. I love butterfly weed. I see it growing wild around here, but haven't been able to find it at the garden centers.

    So glad to see your little garden fairy now has a turtle and angel friend to keep her company! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Beth! I'm a little beat up, but having a great time. I love butterfly weed too, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to find some this late in the season!

    I have a few angels around the garden that I'd picked up over the years, way before I had a garden. I couldn't resist them. I finally got a chance to put them outside!

    ReplyDelete