Thursday, September 10, 2009

Autumn Is On Its Way

While it’s hard to believe because of all the fabulous weather we’ve been having lately, autumn is just around the corner. And autumn is the only season of the year that triggers many different emotions in me, from utter joy to downright sadness. On one hand, there are many things that I like about this time of year such as apple picking, Halloween, autumn leaves, pumpkins, corn mazes, Indian summer and Thanksgiving. On the other hand, the days get shorter, the garden begins to die back and the temperature drops; all things that saddened me. It’s a bittersweet period as Tatiana from Life in Cowtown will tell you.

Autumn serves two purposes in our northern world: 1) it’s a reminder that summer is ending and 2) it’s a warning that winter is on its way, a season that is long, cold and tiresome in most Canadian cities. Sometime during the fall season, you are sure to wake up one day to a frosty morning, the first hint that the tentacles of old man winter are beginning to wrap themselves around the city. And once that happens, you know what’s coming up: freezing rain, snow, blizzards, frostbite, sleet, slush, frosty weather, runny noses, dry skin, viruses, deep freeze, icy sidewalks, flu season, coats, ski jackets, snow pants, wool socks, boots, earmuffs, hats, gloves, scarves, mittens, ice scrapers, snow brushes, snow shovels, winter tires, snow blowers, snow plows and so on. It doesn’t sound like much fun because it isn’t.

So.

With the realization that winter is on its way, I find myself appreciating the few flowers that are blooming in my garden that much more. And I’m hoping that the weather remains pleasant for quite some time so that I can continue to appreciate them for awhile. And a couple of the plants that I’d like to enjoy for a few more weeks are the two impatiens that are finally flowering. Take a look:



Because they were planted so late in the season, it’s taken them awhile to flower. I just hope the weather remains warm, at least for the month of September. It would be a shame to lose these lovely plants to the bitter cold now that they finally got going.

8 comments:

  1. I can't blame you for having mixed feelings about fall. I don't really mind winter so much, but I suspect that your winters might be a bit colder and longer then mine. But then, I'll bet your summers are nice and cool. I don't handle heat very well, so summer is my least favorite season. I always look forward so to fall.

    I was curious---what is your average annual snowfall there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your plant survives the cold and that you get to enjoy a lot of flowers. Here in Mumbai, we travel hundreds of kilometres just to get a hint of cooler weather. I guess I dont need to tell you that our temperatures are usually hot, hotter and miserably hot! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. And once that happens, you know what’s coming up: freezing rain, snow, blizzards, frostbite, sleet, slush, frosty weather, runny noses, dry skin, viruses, deep freeze, icy sidewalks, flu season, coats, ski jackets, snow pants, wool socks, boots, earmuffs, hats, gloves, scarves, mittens, ice scrapers, snow brushes, snow shovels, winter tires, snow blowers, snow plows and so on. It doesn’t sound like much fun because it isn’t.

    But I like some of those things. Not the viruses so much. The other stuff, like the freezing rain (so long as the houses keep their roofs and the electricity stays on, freezing rain is my favorite form of precipitation) and the wool socks. How can you be against wool socks?

    I also am curious about what's normal snowfall for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a beautiful plant and a great post! I needed the reminder to look forward to Halloween and pumpkins, and to revel in the last days of summer and bloom.

    I too think the winter is just plain too long around here! If it was only three to four months like in nicer climates, it would be a nice change, not a never-ending drudge. Plus the lack of light during short days can be a real downer.

    But it sure gives us the chutzpah to wear t-shirts in plus five weather in January and congratulate each other on how warm it is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey .. I just saw those flowers in person and they were PERFECT ! .. I was going to spell it purrfect because you had a visit with the girls today but I didn't want to push the envelope .. heck .. I think I just did ? hehehe
    I got home OK !!!
    LOL
    Joy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Beth, yes winters here are very long, which gets really tiresome after awhile. And they can be quite bitter as well. Some years the winters are less mild, but how mild can a Canadian winter get?
    According to some statistics, Kingston, Ontario has an average snowfall of about 181.9 cm (71.6 inches). Up until the end of June, I lived in Montreal, Quebec, which has about 226.4 cm (89.1 inches) per year. I will be dealing with less snow in my new city, which I should be thankful for, but it’s still more than I care for.
    But I think I’d be able to handle the snow better if the winter was a little shorter, say about a month or two… :)

    -------------

    Sunita, I can't say I envy you! I don't like the extreme heat either!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr_subjunctive, you're welcome to the winters here. Please, please take them! And you're right; wool socks are okay. But freezing rain? No, no, no... I had the (dis)pleasure of driving through one when the streets were not salted and I'm just grateful I survived it!

    ===================

    Tatiana, that's so funny! And so true. Whenever the weather rises above zero, we act like it's spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya Joy! I had a wonderful time. You are such great company and so much fun! I am so thrilled I had the pleasure of meeting your two girls. They're adorable!

    I'm glad you found your way home. In any case, I've discovered that if you get lost in Kingston, no problem; you'll eventually end up crossing Princess St. and finding your way...LOL...

    ReplyDelete