Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Black-capped Visitor

One of the things I enjoy the most in my backyard is the furry and feathery critters that drop in. This is something that I will never get tired of. Just the other day, I had the pleasure of taking a photo of this little fella:


This pretty little bird is known as the black-capped chickadee; an energetic and curious little cutie that quickly discovers bird feeders and hangs around the garden regularly. Although it will visit feeders for sunflower and other types of seed, a chickadee eats mostly pesky insects, which makes it a welcome visitor to your garden.

Apparently, chickadees, being curious as they are, will investigate everything in their surroundings, including humans, so I’m not surprised that the one in the picture above wanted to take a closer look at me – at only about three feet away! All I kept thinking was “Thank heavens I have my camera on hand!” and “Load you stupid camera, load!” (I have an older camera and sometimes it takes its sweet time loading up, which has cost me some great pictures. Lucky for me, the little chickadee hung around for awhile.)

Anyway.

Lesson of the day: Never leave home without your camera! You never know what will land next to you!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Martha : )
    I managed to have a great garden session this afternoon .. I missed that so much with being off my game ? LOL
    I actually saw my first hummingbird of the year yesterday early evening (all year nothing and now when they are ready to pack up and leave for the south ? ) .. it was checking out my big Joe Pye flowers .. how funny is that ?
    I love the chickadee song they sing .. so sweet and cute !
    Joy : )
    PS .. yup .. lag time on cameras .. not so funny eh ? ;-) haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the little chickadees! We don't have them often at our place, but I welcome them when we do. Great picture, Martha---I'm glad you had your camera handy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, thank heavens I receive these comments in my mailbox because I can barely see them. I don't know what's up with my comments section, but it's all messed up.

    Anyhow, I'm so glad that you got a chance to get out and enjoy the garden, especially since the season is coming to an end. And to top it all off, you saw a hummingbird! Now that's cool.

    -------------
    Thanks Beth! I don't have the greatest camera, so I'm always thrilled when I take a really good shot.

    There have been a lot of chickadees around lately. I've seen more in the past two weeks than I've seen all summer. Or maybe I haven't noticed them? But then, how can you miss these little birds?

    Yesterday, my husband was out watering the lawn and one of these little cuties landed on a branch of a tree next to him. Totally fearless. It was checking him out and chirping away at the same time. So cute!

    ReplyDelete