Thursday, September 24, 2009

Delightful Miniature Roses

Even though I was reluctant at first to try my hand at miniature roses (because I’d never grown them in the past and never cared all that much for them), I went ahead and planted some pretty yellow ones (that I just couldn’t resist at the garden centre) under my kitchen window. And hoped for the best.

Well.

It’s been almost two months since that ‘what-the-heck;-let’s-try-our-hand-at-growing-mini-roses’ day and I only have one thing to say:

What in the world was I waiting for?

Not only have my miniature roses survived under my care; they have thrived. I am flattered. And thrilled. And so tempted to run out and buy a dozen of them. Just to stroke my gardening ego.

But despite the temptation (for the ego stroking), I will not be adding any more miniature roses to the garden because I’d like to leave room for (many) other plants. For now, I will enjoy (until the harsh weather kicks in) the two lovely plants that are blooming almost daily under my kitchen window.

Here are some photos of the happy campers:




Aren’t they just delightful?

5 comments:

  1. Yes, miniature roses are delightful and will give you lots and lots of blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... ideas for next year! So are they fragrant?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They still look great ! and yes, please leave lots of room ... those day lilies and what nots I have over here will be needing it !!
    Joy
    PS .. we were bad and had pumpkin pie for supper .. I know .. we are truly evil over here ! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really pretty. Something ate my rose bushes this year before I could spray them, and they haven't yet recovered. The bugs have been awful here in North Carolina this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Crafty Gardener, I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of blooms on my two small rose bushes. I never expected to like them so much.

    ---------------
    You know Tatiana, I've never checked to be honest. When I'm outside today, I'll sniff the roses and see if there's any interesting scent.

    ---------------
    Hi Joy, I am definitely leaving room for those lilies. And I have all winter to plan and prepare for the spring garden. When it’s finally time to start planting, I may very well blow up!

    Pumpkin pie, you say? MMMMMMMM...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... One of my favourites! I should consider making one soon. The family loves it.

    ----------------
    Hiya Beth, these little roses have been a joy since I planted them. It's so frustrating when bugs eat your plants? Something has been eating one of my coneflowers; when Joy came over she said it might be Japanese beetles. I haven't bothered with trying to keep the bugs at bay since my garden is more or less void of greenery but next year I'll have to be more careful since all my planting areas will be full.

    ReplyDelete