Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The First Day Of School

You’d think that after so many ‘first days’ of school that I’ve experienced, I’d be a lot less emotional after each one. But no. Yesterday morning, when my younger daughter boarded her school bus on the ‘first day of school’, I experienced an overload of emotions - like I do every year. If you’ve got children, you know what I’m talking about. For me it’s something like this: I feel as though my heart is going to burst the way it swells up, and I avoid speaking because I’m sure I’m going to sound like a blubbering fool; what with the way I’m all choked up and everything.


Anyhow. I almost didn’t get to see my daughter off on her first day because...

My daughter is at an age where she doesn’t want dear old mom to be waiting outside with her for the school bus. That’s a big no-no for a 12-year-old kid. Excuse me, that’s not right. That’s a big no-no for a pre-teen. Because heaven forbid she’s caught hanging around with her mother, which is so totally not cool. But I don’t really mind sitting on the sidelines; I wasn’t much different at that age.

However.

Because we just moved to a new neighbourhood in a new city, I really wanted to see her off. When I first told her I’d like to be outside on the first day of (her new) school, she said “Moo-oo-oom... Noo-oo-oo...”

But, lucky for me...

That was before Bailey arrived.

Because of her beloved pet, the question changed to: “Why don’t you take Bailey with you outside while you wait for the bus”

This caused a dilemma because...

No 12-year-old on her way to a new school can resist showing off her cool and unusual pet ferret, which might encourage the kids riding with her on the bus to speak to her. About her pet ferret, of course. A great way to start making friends, no? The problem is that, although the ‘I-don’t-want-be-seen-with-my-mother’ 12-year-old is able to take Bailey outside while she waits for the bus, someone has to take her back in after the bus arrives. And it can’t be the ‘I-don’t-want-be-seen-with-my-mother’ 12-year-old because she has to board the bus. Without Bailey.

Ah.

That’s where dear old mom steps in to save the day. “I’ll take her back inside for you sweetheart”

A reluctant nod from the ‘I-don’t-want-be-seen-with-my-mother’ 12-year-old.

So I did get to see my daughter board her bus on the first day of school in our new city, after all. And I did get to experience all the overwhelming emotions and the choking up that goes with it. With Bailey.

Who says dear old mom doesn’t have a trick or two up her sleeve?

(Mischievous) Grin.

8 comments:

  1. It has been a long time since I have done that Martha .. but you never forget .. and with all of the times we have moved .. poor Ian has gone through a lot with new schools ..
    Baily was a perfect way to cut this corner girl ! Good thinking : ) .. She, as in daughter : ) is going to be fine .. her mom has raised a smart mature little woman in the making : )
    Joy : )
    PS .. I am slightly afraid of ferrets .. this could be interesting ? hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a very clever mama, Martha! It's always gratifying when we outwit our children. Hee, hee. :-) I know what you mean about those first-day-of-school emotions. Wait 'til she goes to college! When we said goodbye to our children in their dorm rooms, I cried for the first hundred miles home. And I still feel pretty teary-eyed when they leave now.

    I really enjoyed this piece. I've been meaning to tell you that I think you are a really good writer. I always look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boys are OK with me showing up with them at school. But they are only 11. Should I prepare myself for the next year?
    That trick of yours was very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Joy, I can only imagine how tough it must have been for your son having to start at so many new schools. But it looks like he turned out fine. How could he not with such a great mom?

    It seems a lot of people are afraid of ferrets. But I can honestly say there's absolutely nothing to worry about. Bailey is the sweetest, most gentle little creature. She's cuddly and playful and very docile. There is absolutely no aggression in her, which is great. Ferrest are a lot like kittens, except for the fact that they never outgrow it. They're kittens forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha...it's true Beth! It's always great when we outwit our children who 'know everything' while us old folks know nothing...LOL... Anyway, I love all those mom emotions; I don't think there's anything else in my life that can quite compare to that.

    I thank you so much for your compliment on my writing. You know, the truth is that I've been writing since I was a child. Diaries, poems, short stories, etc. I don't think a year of my life has passed that I haven't done some type of writing. The only thing is that I've never pursued it. I always wanted to be a writer, in a professional way, but never did anything about it. Perhaps I will finally pursue it in my new city. There have been so many changes already, why not go further?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tatyana, maybe your boys will always be okay with you being around them at school and you'll never have to use tricks like I did. My daughter isn't too bad about it, especially when she is headed into a new setting. Then dear old mom becomes necessary to hide behind...LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh don't worry, you'll be cool again when they hit about 20. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you are so right pale gardener! My parents began being really cool again when I got older. Especially when my own kids were born!

    ReplyDelete