Monday, September 28, 2009

I’ve Got Bulbs On The Brain

Damn it! I’ve caught spring bulb fever.

I swore I wasn’t going to consider planting them. I promised myself I’d wait until the garden is planned and settled before I even thought about them. Like maybe next year. Yeah, next year would be the best time because I’d be better prepared for them.

And, you know, I was certain that I could fight the temptation that I knew was coming, even believed I could shrug it off.

But then they began to appear everywhere. I mean everywhere. At the garden centers, supermarkets, department stores, even convenience shops (okay, I’m exaggerating with the convenience stores but only slightly). At first I was doing fine; I was able to walk right by them. But how much temptation can one garden-loving individual handle? I can’t go anywhere without a package of them staring me right in the face. Oh, all those colours...


Photo from SXC

I’m weak, I tell you. Weak.

So today I’m going to go out and pick up some spring bulbs because I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE! I have to get some. Have to. I will try to pick up a small amount, oh, let’s say about 20 bulbs or so. Hopefully less than that. That’s it. No more. I swear. And just one type, perhaps daffodils. Yes, just daffodils. Okay, maybe just one other one. Maybe. BUT THAT’S IT! I mean it.

We’ll just have to see what happens when I get out there...

8 comments:

  1. Martha girl .. I just knew you would "break" hahaha .. OK .. here is the low down .. check Loblaws and Walmart .. Loblaws has good Dutch bulbs for great prices .. WalMart will have some as well. Good lukc with the hunt .. if I didn't have an appointment today I would offer to hunt with you ? LOL
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would, but I had some bad tulip/hyacinth experiences last year (the usual bad experience: I planted them but they didn't come up), and funds are very limited, so I think I will be able to resist bulb fever this year, and possibly also next. After that, anything could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep to thee Daffodils. They'll take the cold winter we get and the varmints won't eat them. I'd say a hundred or so would be a good start :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy, of course I was going to break. Who was I kidding? Anyway, I did go to Walmart this morning and I did pick up some goodies. I’ll post about them this week. I would have loved to have you join me but we can always set up another date for Halloween shopping!

    =================
    Mr S, I was NOT supposed to buy bulbs this year. I promised myself I wouldn’t. But I just couldn’t resist. I think it’s the lack of flowers and greenery in my garden that got to me. I hate the idea of being the only house in the neighbourhood that doesn’t get to see something sprout in early spring, preferably flowers NOT weeds.

    =================
    A hundred or so wiseacre? Sounds like a nice even number. Can I borrow some of your gardening space for them? :)

    On a more serious note, daffodils are exactly what I want. Bulbs that practically take care of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once the bug bites you, it's all over. But won't they be great come spring. You did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Delle, you're so right. I picked up a couple of different types of bulbs (daffodils and tulips) and have the urge to run out and get more. SOMEBODY STOP ME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pick up some paperwhites and hyacinths for forcing in water and stones. They'll brighten your winter.

    100 bulbs are too many when you are planting. 1000 are not enough when they bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi nelljean, I pick up paperwhites and hyacinths every year during the cold months. It does, as you say, brighten up the winter. I also pick up some amaryllis bulbs before Christmas. They are so beautiful.

    Yes, 100 bulbs is too many when you're planting them. But once they bloom, they're far from being enough.

    ReplyDelete