Wednesday, September 23, 2009

On The First Day Of Autumn...

...my oven baked for me...
An awe-some
Fall re-ci-pe

Okay, technically it’s not the first day of autumn (right?) and I’m not the best poet. But it is the beginning of the fall season and I’ve caught the autumn baking bug, which, lucky for you, means that I’m eager to share a recipe of one of the season’s most delightful treats that I made recently.

So hold on to your oven mitts folks because I’m just about to post a recipe that will make your taste buds explode with satisfaction. One warning though: make sure to keep your windows closed when you’re preparing this scrumptious treat because if the aroma drifts outside your home you’ll have the entire neighbourhood (strays included) salivating at your front door, begging to be let in!

Drum roll please...

Presenting the one and only delicious, mouthwatering, divine, heavenly, lip smacking, delectable, to die for PUMPKIN BREAD!

”Oh, my! And how do you make this delicious, mouthwatering, divine, heavenly, lip smacking, delectable, to die for pumpkin bread, water roots lady?”

Well, I’m gonna tell you that right now...

HOW TO MAKE (delicious, mouthwatering, divine, heavenly, lip smacking, delectable, to die for) PUMPKIN BREAD

Ingredients:

3 ½ cups flour
3 cups sugar
1 cup corn oil (I use canola)
4 eggs
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2/3 cup water
1 15 oz can pumpkin (pure pumpkin, not the pie filling type)

1) Preheat oven to 350º.

2) In an extra large bowl beat sugar & oil on medium speed. Add eggs; beat well.


3) Add pumpkin. Beat until everything is well mixed.



3) In another bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg. Add dry mixture and water alternately to sugar mixture, beating on low speed.


4) Spoon batter into greased loaf pans.


(Optional: Lick whatever batter is left in the mixing bowl while the bread is baking to help prevent self-combustion. The aroma may just kill you while you wait.)

5) Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


7) Cool in pans for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from pans, let cool completely. Refrigerate for a couple of hours, then cut into slices and serve.


8) DEVOUR!

Mmmmmm...mmmmmmm...

And just for the record:

I will not take credit for this recipe. My daughter brought it home from school about 2 years ago. A mother of one of her classmates sent her child to school with a few slices of pumpkin bread that she (or was it he?) shared with everyone. The kids loved it so much that she wrote out the recipe, made lots of photocopies and gave each child (and some teachers) a copy to take home.

That cool mom shared this awesome recipe with me and now I’m sharing it with all of you.

Enjoy.

And pass it on.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, Martha, I have almost the exact same recipe! Except I usually put pecans (and occasionally raisins) in mine. And you're right, this stuff is so, so good. The only bad thing is that ours almost never has a chance to cool completely before we tear into it. It's hard not to after smelling that warm spicy goodness for an hour! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say ................. damn it !!
    It looks too good yet again ;-)
    Joy (hehehehehehe !)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Beth! Pecans? One of my favourite things! I should try that in my bread; at least in one of them in case the family doesn't approve. They can all share one bread and I'll get to devour the other one - alone!

    We have a hard time waiting for it to cool off but I keep everyone at bay with a whip...LOL...

    ----------------
    Joy, the next time we get together, I'll make sure to give you some. You have to at least try it. It's soooooo good....

    ReplyDelete