Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Bromeliad Basking In The Sun

My kitchen faces south, and now that the sun is lower with the arrival of the autumn season, the room is flooded with sunshine. There was a sunny spot available on my kitchen table for a houseplant, and what better plant to place there than an Aechmea fasciata (Urn plant), which happens to be my favourite bromeliad and my favourite indoor plant.


I could have placed my Adenium obesum (desert rose) in this primo spot, and maybe I should have, but I have five Aechmea fasciatas that have yet to bloom; two of which were given to me as a housewarming gift from friends that visited not too long ago and three of which were pups of a plant I bought a few years ago. What this means, basically, is that I have five chances to witness my favourite plant bloom – from scratch. Because although I’ve bought Aechmea fasciatas in full bloom, I’ve never actually seen one flower.

I intend to leave this Aechmea fasciata on my kitchen table permanently because the light levels adjust on their own with the season, so I don’t need to move this plant to keep it from burning in summer, midday sun or to make sure it receives adequate light in fall and winter when light levels diminish. In spring and summer, the sun lifts so it doesn’t hit the plant directly, yet it is bright enough to satisfy. And during the fall and summer seasons, the sun hits the plant directly because it’s lower, yet it doesn’t burn because it’s weaker. A win-win situation year round, wouldn’t you say?

So let’s see what happens. Hopefully in the next few weeks or months, I’ll witness this lovely plant blooming. That would be really exciting.

3 comments:

  1. This is the time of year the Christmas cactus start setting up too .. with these earlier evenings .. dark yet cozy !
    I like the look of this plant Martha .. reminds me of my "snake" plants ? the ones you can't kill ... so far ?? LOL
    I have Halloween masks on their pots ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great-looking plant even without a bloom. I'm glad you found the perfect spot for it. I look forward to seeing it flower soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joy, the next time I see you, I will give you one of these young plants. It is incredibly easy to care for and it's almost immortal. You will love it!

    ========
    Beth, I love all bromeliads, but this is by far my favourite. There's something so interesting about it. I really hope it flowers; it would be an amazing thing to witness.

    ReplyDelete