Friday, October 9, 2009

Delicious Roasted Peppers

I’ve been wondering what I might want to grow next year in my garden in terms of fruits, vegetables and herbs. Tomatoes are a possibility; so are cucumbers. Basil, which is a reminder of my father, is a must, along with dill, which I love. Onions rank high and so does garlic, which I’ve discovered should be planted in the fall. When it comes to fruits, there’s only one that interests me: raspberries. How can I not grow raspberries? I mean, really.

And along with all the above, I will definitely consider growing peppers. Yellow peppers. Orange peppers. And even red peppers. Because, dear readers, I have this delicious, easy to make recipe for roasted peppers that the entire family loves and I can just imagine how terrific it would be if I made it with my very own homegrown peppers.

What?

What’s that?

Oh, you want to know if I’m going to share this delicious, easy to make recipe?

Well, of course I am. Don’t you know I love you guys? Come on, come on...group hug...

Alright, that’s enough. Here’s how to make the most amazing roasted peppers in the entire world.

Ingredients:

6 - 8 Peppers (Red, Yellow or Orange)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup oil (I use canola but olive oil also works well)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground thyme

1) Cut each pepper in 4 pieces and remove the seeds and membranes. Place the sliced peppers (flattened) on a baking tray lined with foil paper and broil until the skins are black.



2) Remove peppers from oven, transfer them to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap (or plate) for 10 - 15 minutes.



3) Peel away the skins, slice each pepper into thin (or thick, if you prefer) slices and place them in a bowl, a plastic container or a jar.


4) Mix all the ingredients together, pour over the sliced peppers, toss to coat and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Serve at room temperature.


That’s all there is to it!

Enjoy.

You know, I’ve always loved roasted peppers and for years I bought jars of them. Until I ran across this recipe. Now I make my own.

So will I consider growing peppers in the garden to be used for the recipe above?

You bet I will.

9 comments:

  1. This looks very delicious. When I roast peppers I cover them with olive oil and garlic only, but I will try this next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi vrtlarica, even your simple recipe is good. There are so many ways to prepare peppers; each one of them delicious in its own way.

    My recipe just adds a few more ingredients to make the peppers a little more spicy. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your peppers sure look tasty. Great tutorial.

    Basil, Dill and some peppers will be a good start toward a little herb garden. Add some parsley plants and you'll attract black swallowtail butterflies. Welcome to Blotanical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martha, those peppers look like something my husband Tom would go crazy for. We had a surplus of peppers in our garden this year, but they're all gone now. But I'm printing out your recipe to make next year---thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nell Jean, I'm so glad you mentioned parsley! I'd almost forgotten about that, and it's definitely something I would love to grow! I'm especially eager to have some if it means swallowtail butterflies. Thanks for the nice welcome. I'm glad to be a part of Blotanical!

    ====
    Beth, I swear that no matter how much of this I make, most of it is devoured during the first serving. The whole family loves these peppers. I hope your husband enjoys this as much as we do! You can add more oil if you want it to have less of a vinegar flavour, or less oil if your husband really likes the vinegar taste. Either way, you'll adjust the ingredients every time you make it until it's perfect, just the way you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those peppers are amazing, and every time I make them I fall in love again. I eat them on plain rice with a hint of soy sauce as a supper for one.

    I'd like to also add my hurrah for a veggie garden, eating what you've grown is a taste experience not to be missed. The heirloom tomatoes are worth the price of admission, so are the awesome carrots, peas, herbs and tiny strawberries that are impossibly sweet and fragrant. I too, am branching into raspberries next year, because that's a must. I can't wait to see what you'll grow! Peppers and cukes sadly don't do too well here - due to altitude our nights are just too cool for them. But the zucchini thrived.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tatiana, I can't wait to grow something edible in my garden. It's been many years since I did so, but I still remember how awesome it was. My parents, both of them, are (well, in my dad's case, he was) avid gardeners. My father was a pro at veggies, especially tomatoes and cucumbers. My mother was into her herbs, beans, onions, etc. Whenever I visited, my mother would give me some tomatoes and cucumbers to make salad with and they were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm fresh tomato salad! And the varieties available to the home gardener are stunning. My in-laws garden avidly, but get their generic plants from the local garden centre. Their tomatoes are okay, pretty good, but not amazing.

    Mine, which I had to start from seed, were all (sort of)local heirloom varieties. EVERYONE commented on how incredible they taste. It's night and day. Now I'm excited for the winter as I'll get to plan what's to come!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Tatiana, I'm so out of touch with tomato varieties that I fear trying to grow them. I suppose I should ask my mother, who is very successful with them. Yeah, that's what I'll do. Why do I stress for nothing? :)

    ReplyDelete