Monday, October 12, 2009

Giving Thanks On Thanksgiving

"Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted" ~Aldous Huxley ~

Today is Thanksgiving in Canada. There is a turkey roasting in the oven, the pumpkin pie is in the fridge, the pumpkin bread is sliced and waiting to be devoured and the side dishes are being kept warm on the stove.

But that’s not what’s important.

What is important is taking a few moments to reflect on all the blessings in my life; things that I sometimes take for granted.

So.

10 Things I’m Grateful For

1) Two Beautiful Children

I have experienced a few things in my life but nothing has brought me more joy than being a mother; it is the greatest adventure of my life. No matter how many years go by, I can never quite get over the astonishment that I created two human beings that lived inside me at one time. Their birth, their very existence, is a miracle.

2) A Loving Husband
My husband is the love of my life and my best friend. I am grateful for his generosity, sensitivity, kindness, patience and unconditional love. He is one of the best people I know and I am proud to be his wife.

3) A Wonderful Childhood

I’m fortunate enough to have grown up in a happy home with loving parents and two wonderful brothers. We had few luxuries in terms of material goods but, as far as I’m concerned, we were the richest family; our home was overflowing with love, warmth, peace and stability. My childhood has helped shape the person I am today.

4) A Caring Family

I am surrounded by a very loving family that is always there for me should I ever need them. Even my father who has passed away is still a huge part of my life, having left cherished memories and wonderful lessons on how to be a better person for me to pass on to my own children.

5) Good Friends

I’ve never needed a lot of friends, only good ones. And I’ve been fortunate enough to have run across some of the most genuine, honest and thoughtful individuals. Their friendship is a blessing in my life, something I must never take for granted.

6) A Peaceful Life

With so many terrible things that people experience around the world, I am grateful to be living in a safe and peaceful society, where I can walk outdoors alone at night and not be afraid.

7) Having Enough To Eat
I have never been hungry. Even during my childhood when my parents experienced hardships, we always had enough to eat. A full fridge and a stocked cupboard is something that most of us take for granted, forgetting that there are so many people around the world who have nothing to eat.

8) Being Healthy
I am thankful for being healthy and having a healthy family. Without this, nothing else would matter.

9) My Home
Every day, I wake up in a warm, safe home and thank the good lord for that. There are people living on the streets, homeless, cold, hungry and lonely. I remind myself every day to never take for granted what so many people are missing.

10) My Spirituality

In my teen years, I set off on a journey of spiritual exploration that lasted for many years, and it wasn't until my late twenties that I formulated my own belief system, based on everything I’d researched during that period. My self-defined spiritual beliefs work for me, and they give me a sense of comfort.

===========

My life is filled with blessings and I’m grateful for each and every one of them.

To all my fellow Canucks:

4 comments:

  1. Hoping you have a happy and safe Thanksgiving with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look out the window and see proof of divine existence. When I'm writing well I know it like I know my breath and the touch of my wife's hand on my face. I know it on my knees or on my belly in the garden, trasnfixed and lost in the busy work of insects or the dew drops coalescing on sedum leaves. But, that's just me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful list, Martha. You DO have a lot to be thankful for. A very Happy Thanksgiving to you and all your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Crafty Gardenere, we had a lovely time on Thanksgiving. Turkey and all the trimmings!

    --------------
    Benjamin, that's beautiful! There's certainly enough beauty in my life and around me to remind me why I have faith in God.

    --------------
    Beth, I have no complaints. My life is filled with blessings. I try, as much as possible, not to take them for granted.

    ReplyDelete