Friday, October 23, 2009

It Is With Great Sadness...

...that I announce the passing of my backyard marigolds on Thursday, October 22, 2009 after a courageous battle with Canadian-style frosty weather.


I will be receiving condolences throughout the day in front of my house - until the garbage truck arrives to take away the deceased.

(Is that the truck? Oh...well, there they go...)

In lieu of (more) flowers, donations can be made to the TDCFA (Too Damn Cold For Annuals) foundation; a non-profit organization that helps annuals relocate to warmer regions.

The marigolds are survived by all the perennials that they shared space with, including the Anemone sylvestris (snowdrop anemone) that is blooming abnormally this time of year, causing suspicion and paranoia that the plants are taking over the world.


Seems to me that the marigolds were just a decoy. It’s been the snowdrops, all along.

9 comments:

  1. I don't donate to TDCFA; relocating annuals to warmer regions seems backward. I'm in favor of relocating the warmer regions to where the annuals are. We've made huge strides in the last century or so, as you may have heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to express my condolences to you and your family, Martha, in the passing of your marigolds. Those were truly fine marigolds and I know you will miss them. At least you have your pictures of the dearly departed and your fond memories to console you.

    That anemone is a pretty little thing, but I agree---you should keep you eye on it.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a couple of weeks of freezng weather that separated the hardy plants from the "What are you doing growing in this region?" plants. Some gave me reproachful looks as they discovered they had no mittens or toques. I hope that the news doesn't get back to their relations, or they will not want to visit my garden next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. S., I love that idea! That warmer weather would be pretty darn nice. I think my houseplants would also like it; some of them could spend some lengthy periods outdoors.

    ================
    Tatiana, wouldn't that be cool? I'd cast my vote for moving the warmer weather up north!

    ================
    Beth, I must have a gazillion photos of these marigolds, mainly because they were outstanding performers. I wasn't surprised that they finally caved in. The nights have been quite cold for awhile and I'm pleased they even lasted this long. But that snowdrop? Gotta keep my eye on that! What the heck is it doing flowering now?

    ================
    Northern Shade, I'm laughing thinking of my plants wearing toques & mittens! Perhaps that's what my marigolds needed to keep them going for a little while longer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing what's popping up as it's getting cold out there. That anemome is just lovely, and with the fall leaf as a beautiful backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, I think this is going to be one of the last things I see before the real bitter weather kicks in. The outdoors is already starting to look pretty sad; it's going to get worse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks MBT; I like to have fun on my blog. If I don't put in some humour now and then, I think I'm going to blow up.

    ReplyDelete