Monday, November 2, 2009

And So It Begins...

...the first signs of growth on my newly-planted Amaryllis:


It’s not a significant amount of growth, but growth is growth. And it’s certainly welcome this time of year when everything outdoors is quickly fading away. Thank goodness for indoor plants. I think I’ll walk around the house today and hug all my houseplants to show them how much I appreciate them. Okay, maybe not the cacti; I’ll just hug their pots.

Anyway.

As a general rule, the period from potting to flowering for Amaryllis bulbs takes between 7 – 10 weeks, so I should be expecting beautiful, bold blooms around the Christmas holidays.

Cool.

7 comments:

  1. I love watching those grow. I've been enjoying your posts, thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy these plants too; it's amazing how a little bulb (okay, not so little) can produce such huge, gorgeous blooms. No problem about the link; I really like your site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to do these too but I'm afraid the girls would think it was a treat for them ? There isn't a place I could hide this baby that they would not find it and snack on it .. now that is scary ... eeuuuwww !
    I'll have to enjoy yours .. OK ??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love when that happens? There's always this fear that nothing will happen and we'll just wait and wait!
    Then, after the first signs of life show up, I'll go back like 5 times a day to see if it grew more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy, I understand about the cats. My own in the past used to drive me crazy at times with my houseplants. They would go weeks without so much as looking at them and then WHAM, they'd terrorize them. I never did catch any of them snacking on the leaves, but it's always a possibility.

    ----------------
    Har har har... Pale Gardener, that is exactly what I've been doing...going back about five times a day to check and see if it grew more. Like there's been any significant change in an hour :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh nothing says the holidays quite like a pretty amaryllis!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the amaryllis plants, inadvertent farmer. I pick one up every years (confession: usually more than one) and swear I'll keep it year round and encourage it to bloom again. But then around spring, I lose interest and toss it away. Poor amaryllis. I'm a horrible, horrible plant person...

    ReplyDelete