Monday, November 23, 2009

How Is The Amaryllis Plant Doing?

My recently-purchased amaryllis is doing just fine, thank you for asking. In its primo spot in my brightly-lit kitchen, it’s growing like a weed. My only concern is that it’s growing too quickly and that the flower display (much too short if you ask me) will end before the holidays arrive. And although I was hoping that the blooms would open close to Christmas or the New Year, the amaryllis has a mind of its own. It does not respond to threats, pleas or bribery (yes, I’ve tried). It will bloom when it feels like it, like it or lump it. So [sigh] I’m going to get flowers whenever it wants to give them to me.

This is where my plant is at right now:



Me: “I’ll clean your leaves regularly and give you extra fertilizer in the spring, my dear amaryllis, if you promise to bloom near Christmas”

Amaryllis: “Trying to bribe me, lady? I can’t be bought. Try the Paperwhite Narcissus bulbs; they’re pretty self-absorbed and can be bought.”

[pause]

Me: "AHHHH! A talking amaryllis..."

2 comments:

  1. eep! I have my fingers crossed for ya!
    I could never get over the smell of paperwhites...too much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people don't like the small of paperwhites, which I admit can be a little overwhelming. I don't mind them too much.

    My amaryllis is growing very fast, so I'm not betting that it'll wait until we're closer to Christmas. Oh well; at least there'll be some pretty flowers soon to make up for the lack of colour outdoors.

    ReplyDelete