Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Old Man Winter Returns

Some guests just don’t get when they’re overstaying their visit. Take old man winter, for example, the ‘cool’ dude that came to my city a couple of days ago and painted the town white. Well, he’s back. And this visit is not friendly. As I write this, he’s outside painting the town even whiter, but with a touch of rage (so much for the charm of winter; now it’s just plain ugly out there). Yessiree folks, we are having our first snowstorm. If I was a kid, I’d be jumping up and down with joy as I looked forward to all the fun things me, my brothers and the neighbourhood kids would enjoy outdoors. As an adult I’m already feeling the aches and pains that will come from having to clean the driveway and all the pathways free of snow. Most of the aches and pains will be my husband’s, but still. I will have sympathy pain.

Anyway, I wasn’t very happy about old man winter’s visit on Monday, but since he comes and goes as he pleases because he has free passes from Mother Nature, I really couldn’t do anything about it. At least the damage was minimal after he left; the temperature rose above zero, the sun came out and the city looked very charming with the (minimal) newly-fallen snow. And it was easy to clear the driveway and the pathway, so there were no aches and pains involved - sympathy-type or other. So all was well with my little northern world.

And to prove it, here are some more pretty pictures of the first visit:






The pictures below were taken by my daughter yesterday evening:







Nice, no?

Well, the old coot decided to return today with a vengeance, storming through the city as if he’s ticked off about something. Perhaps he had a fight with Mother Nature or father time or Santa Claus or the Easter bunny or the tooth fairy. Or who-e-ver. I really don’t care what his problem is. HE CAN’T HAVE A TANTRUM HERE.

Anyhow, there’s not much I can do about it. I will snap some pictures (during and after the snow) and post them on my blog. I know, I know, who the heck cares about my city’s weather? But since it’s hard to come up with posts this time of year, I figure I may as well milk this for all it’s worth.

7 comments:

  1. Photos of beautiful snow storms are always a good idea. That said, how do you stand it? It gets in the teens here and I think I might die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you there! beautiful pictures! We too are snow covered. Loved your post about Old Man Winter

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes for beautiful pictures. I do not want the snow but will enjoy it from afar in your postings ;-) Love the last picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liza, I just don't know. I've been in Canada my whole life and I just can't get used to winter. I was born in the wrong place. I'm sure there was a warmer area I was destined to live in. I just know it...

    ===============
    Thanks Gloria. It's been hard coming up with posts this time of year, so this change of weather has been somewhat of a blessing. After this, well, who knows...

    ===============
    Hocking hills gardener, I would be just as happy enjoying this type of weather from afar - where it is much warmer and where flowers bloom outdoors year round!

    The last picture was taken by my 12-year-old daughter, which is pretty impressive. I'll pass on the compliment to her; she'll be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Austin and we received about 20 minutes of snow the other day. I'm glad I took a quick photo. That is probably all the snow we will see...? Your photos are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos (and your daughter's) are so lovely, Martha. I'm happy to look at your winter wonderland photos anytime. Sorry about Old Man Winter and his tantrums, though. Let's hope he and Mother Nature work out their differences soon! It's never a nice thing when they quarrel. :-)

    And, wow. I've got to mention your comment on my post---it was fantastic. I am truly amazed at the parallels in our lives. And I LOVED your husband's description of himself. I would really love to see the whole story on how you met your husband in a post. Please?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, twenty minutes of snow is an appetizer for us Canadians. I can't imagine what that's like. I've spent my entire life in this country and have never known a winter without snow - and lots of it.

    --------------------
    Thanks Beth! We both like to take photographs, usually random shots (although Bailey has been sneaking into many of them lately...have no idea how that happens :)

    I will definitely write about how me and hubby met; it's such a wonderful story too. We took off like a rocket ship - and still haven't landed! I just need to find the time to put the story together. Maybe I'll work on it in bits and pieces until it's all done.

    ReplyDelete