Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Yup, It’s Definitely A Flower

Well, looks like I was right. The unusual growth on my Vriesea splendens is indeed a flower:



This is a very exciting moment because no Bromeliad under my care has ever flowered for me. And it’s also an ego stroking event because Vriesea splendens (from what I’ve learned over the years) does not bloom easily. So, you can imagine how inflated my plant-growing ego is these days (I’m having difficulty entering a room because my head is too big to fit through the door).

Anyhow, the flower is not quite done yet, and I suppose I could have waited till it is fully grown before posting a picture of it, but I couldn’t resist bragging about it. Plus, I get to post about this once more in the future so that I can brag about it all over again. Cool, huh?

Incredibly impressive green thumb giftedness aside (don’t you love tooting your own horn?), it’s really nice to see a bloom this time of year when everything outdoors is dead or dormant. Also, it’s the only plant in the house that’s blooming, so I may as well milk it for all it’s worth.

6 comments:

  1. I bow before you, Greenest-Thumbed, Big-Headed Lady!! :-) I'm just glad you can't see my croton plant that keeps dropping leaves and looks sadder and sadder. Alas, my indoor-plants thumb is black.

    I am really looking forward to seeing the picture of that flower fully-bloomed----it is going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a stunning bud, and what timing - Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cue the balloons and confetti! Hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great score - congratulations. You should definitely toot your own horn!! Always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, I wouldn't feel too bad about your croton. That's a difficult plant to grow to begin with. I really love indoor plants; it provides us northerners with some living green the entire year. Considering how long our winters are, this is especially important.

    ================
    Hi Tatiana, thank you! I had a nice time with my family. And you're right; the timing of this plant was perfect! I can't wait to see it when it's fully grown. It's such a gorgeous flowers display. And it lasts for a long time!

    ------------------
    Hi Liza, I have no problem tooting my own horn with my houseplants...:) Especially with the flowering plants that I don't believe will ever flower for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting flower. That must be exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi evolutionofagardener, the flowers on bromeliads are gorgeous and very unique, so it is very exciting to see this one developing!

    ReplyDelete