Sunday, March 28, 2010

Little Bulbs Braving The Cold

This has been the mildest March I’ve experienced in a long time, with the exception of the last few days where nighttime temperatures have dropped to freezing levels. If it hadn’t been for the tulip and daffodil bulbs I planted a few months ago, this wouldn’t bother me. After all, March is a very unpredictable and rather unstable month; one day it feels like spring and the next you’re right back into winter.

But now there are the bulbs to worry about, which decided early in the month to start sprouting, only to discover a couple of weeks later that it might have been better to wait just a little longer. But who can blame them for wanting to poke their little heads out; the weather had been so warm and spring-like that I guess they decided it’s safe to begin sprouting.





Because the past few days have been a little rough on them, they’ve stopped growing. Whatever has sprouted has just remained as is. I’m not sure what effect this yo-yo weather is having on these plants, or whether any damage has been done. I just hope that there’ll be a decent display when the temperatures are stable enough for the flowers to emerge completely. It is the only thing I have to look forward to growing this spring, the first spring we’re in this house, and I’ll be really disappointed if something goes wrong.

We’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. I think unless you have a long stretch of sub-freezing temperatures, they will be fine. We've had overnight temperatures in the 20's and 30's (and even snow) here and my daffodils and tulips have done fine. Spring bulbs are made to withstand some cold, I think. It also is helpful to go out and encourage those little shoots with some kind words. I am not ashamed to admit that I talk to my plants regularly. Unfortunately, cursing the weeds seems to have no effect on them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, you're not alone. I talk to my plants. And my pets. And the furniture while I'm cleaning it. I don't know how I don't get tired of listening to myself :) You're right about the weeds, though; they don't care what you say. They're so darn arrogant!

    You're probably right about the bulbs. I'm just a little upset because it's the only thing I have to look forward to this spring. Next year will be a little different; there'll be a lot more plants around the home, so maybe I won't care as much.

    ReplyDelete