Wednesday, April 21, 2010

And still more Plants

The past few days have been dedicated to plant purchases and planting the plants I’ve purchased. Can you say that five times? Plant purchases and planting the plants I’ve purchased...

So.

Like I wrote previously, the weather has been glorious the past few days, so I’ve taken advantage and worked on my garden. And one of the joys I’ve experienced is plant shopping. I can’t begin to explain how exhilarated I feel whenever I walk into a greenhouse. I mean, it’s not like I’ve never done this before; I’ve been hanging around greenhouses for years for the houseplants, after all. But up until now, I was just an observer of the outdoor gardening world; not a participant.

Well, things have changed, my dear friends, and now I’m able to join in on the fun.

And this post is all about four beautiful perennials that I picked up from Wal-Mart a couple of days ago.

Shall we?

Let’s.

First, there’s Lobelia fulgens ‘Queen Victoria’, a pretty plant with deep maroon foliage and scarlet blossoms. Can't wait to see it in bloom! I bought two and added them both in front of the house, on the side of our walkway.



In the same spot, I added Digitalis ‘Foxy’ that I picked up on the same shopping spree; I purchased three of them.



The plants are growing right behind the daffodils and tulips, and once the bulbs are done flowering, the perennials will take center stage:


Then there is Gaillardia 'Burgundy', of which I bought two. This is a cold hardy, easy to grow perennial that adds pizzazz to the garden with its rich, wine-red flowers. I’m looking forward to seeing this one in bloom. I added both purchases to the new flower bed in the back:



And the Cerastium alpinum subsp. Lanatum ‘Snow Over the Alps’, also of which I bought two. This is a small plant that produces tiny, bright white flowers and grows between 2- 4”. I bought it mostly out of curiosity because it's so cute; we’ll see how it turns out. Both cerastiums were also added to the new flower bed in the back of the house:



So there you have it. An assortment of lovely perennials that hopefully will thrive in my garden.

Is that it?

Nope. There are a few more plants, but I’ll get to the rest tomorrow. And the next day. And the day after that. And so on...and so on...

2 comments:

  1. Your Walmart has a much better and more interesting selection of plants than ours does. I love that lobelia with the maroon foliage---so pretty. And I've always had a soft spot for foxgloves. When my kids were small, I told them that fairies lived in the foxglove blossoms. And I really sort of half believe it myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, that is the cutest thing. And you know, I believe that it may be true too, that fairies do indeed live in the foxglove blossoms. That would explain why they're so pretty.

    I've never grown these lovely plants before, so I'm looking forward to seeing them blossom. It will be an interesting gardening year, for sure.

    ReplyDelete