Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Any More Plants? But Of Course!

Oh come on, people; what kind of question is that? You didn’t honestly think that I’d given up on bringing home any more plants, did you? The garden centers are brimming with all kinds of botanical goodies, and since I’m a botanical junkie, well, need I say more?

Plus, I’ve been saving money all winter for this, not to mention the fact that I have the home’s entire landscape to build. Let’s just say that it’s a garden extravaganza!

So, let’s get to the plants...the new ones...

1) Sempervivum tectorum (Hens and Chicks):



I love indoor succulents, so it’s not surprising that I would love them for the garden as well. I bought two of these lovely plants to add to the back. I’ve never grown something like this outdoors before; it’ll be a new experience. But despite my lack of experience, they’re worth a try since they’re so adorable. I don’t know what kind they are; the tag just lumps them all together and calls them “assorted”. If you know what kind of Sempervivum this is, please let me know.

2) Lychnis x arkwrightii 'Orange Dwarf’


This lovely plant has mahogany foliage and promises orange-red flowers midsummer. I picked up a couple of these, and since they enjoy a sunny spot, I added them to the new area in the back.


3) Dianthus carophyllus 'Golden Sun'

What garden would be complete without some pretty carnations, especially the ones with golden-yellow blooms? Certainly not mine. So I picked up two of these:


And added them to the new section out back:


4) Rudbeckia hirta ‘Marmalade’


Ah, yes, black-eyed susan... This is my pride and joy of the week; a plant that will grace my backyard with large golden-orange daisies from mid-summer to fall. Does it get any better than this? I picked up a couple of these and planted them in the new section:



That’s it for the plants, but before I end this post, there’s one more addition that is extremely important:


It’s Smiley the gnome! See how happy he is in his new home? Such a cheerful little fella. His buddy, Chuckles, is just a few short feet away; and just as jolly.

Oh, and finally, this is what the new flower bed looks like to date:


It’s really coming along nicely. Just a few more plants and it’ll be completely full.

3 comments:

  1. Martha ! I have meant to e-mail you .. hum ? maybe I did .. to tell you Millar was here yesterday while we were out and he took the wooden ties and yanked the lilac out ! and marked curves for the border BUT , I will be curving MORE ! LOL .. I'm so excited and I am battling a cold at the same time .. perfect timing eh ?? ;-)
    I have Hens&Chick varieties all over the place here .. I could have given you babies .. hey you can always use more right ? LOL
    I am trying to get some things done today so I can concentrate on the BIG job Friday !!
    Joy : ) HAPPY DANCING !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your garden is looking great, Martha. I can't wait to see how it looks in 2 or 3 months. You'll be surprised how quickly it fills out. Before long, you won't be able to even SEE Chuckle's and Smiley's happy faces!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, I just sent you an email. I know you're bouncing off the walls over there with Millar having dropped by. That is every exciting, and I'm so happy for you!

    Hey, not to worry about the 'hens and chicks', they're little plants that can be inserted here and there. For now, I wanted to squeeze in a couple to get them started.

    ===============
    Beth, I'm so looking forward to this area filling up with gorgeous blooms. I can see this planting bed from my kitchen while I cook, so it'll be wonderful. And it'll be fun when the gnomes are hidden behind the plants. You'll catch a glimpse of them peeking from behind some flowers. For now, I have to just be patient while the baby plants start to grow.

    ReplyDelete