Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Simple Meat Sauce

This is one of my favourite recipes for pasta sauce; it’s ‘mmm mmm’ good and only requires a few easy-to-find ingredients. I always double or triple the recipe, so I can freeze some of it for another night.

(This recipe is in a booklet I received by mail from The Beef Information Centre)


Simple Meat Sauce

What you need:

1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil (I use canola)
1 onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup (250 ml) diced vegetables (e.g. zucchini and sweet pepper)
1 lb (500 g) ground beef
1 can (28 oz/796 ml) tomatoes
1 can (5 ½ oz/156 ml) tomato paste
1 tbsp (15 ml) brown sugar
½ tsp (2 ml) dried oregano
Salt and pepper

Preparing the Sauce:

1. Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan using medium heat. Add onion, garlic, vegetables and ground beef; cook, stirring occasionally for 8 – 10 minutes until beef is browned and completely cooked. Drain.

2. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and oregano. Break up tomatoes with back of spoon. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Season with salt and pepper to taste and add a bit more sugar if necessary. Serve over hot pasta. Makes 5 cups (1.24 L)

And enjoy with good company!


Additional information:

- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes

- Nutritional information per cup (250 ml):
    305 calories
    19 g protein
    18 g fat
    20 g carbohydrate

3 comments:

  1. This recipe looks wonderful, Martha. I like that the ingredients are simple ones that I actually have in my pantry and refrigerator. Seems like so many recipes these days have some kind of exotic spice or something that you only use once and then it's shoved to the back of the cabinet never to be used again.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, now I want spaghetti for breakfast. Thanks a lot Martha! Just kidding - spaghetti for breakfast is a lot better than the girl scout cookies I've eaten for breakfast the last two days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, I agree; I also like recipes that call for simple ingredients. Sometimes I prepare a dinner at the last minute and don't have time to go out and pick up something I don't have. Especially if it's an ingredient that you can't find because it's exotic.

    ========
    Liza, you will love this sauce; it's sooooo delicious. And the bonues, of course, is how simple it is to make.

    Girl scout cookies! Oh my goodness, I haven't seen those in years!

    ReplyDelete