Saturday, May 8, 2010

More New Additions To The Garden

Feels like only yesterday I wrote about new plants for the garden, doesn’t it? That’s because it was...you poor souls...

Well, inconsiderate of your feelings as I am, here we go again...

1) Cosmos atrosanguines


Or is it atrosanguineus? And do I really care all that much? Nope. What I do care about is what a lovely plant this is. And this didn’t cost me anything; my warm, generous and wonderful friend Joy shared some of these with me. Because they’re not winter hardy, I potted them up in a container, which I placed near the deck.


2) Dicentra spectabilis ‘Alba’



Apparently, this is one of the most popular garden plants. Who knew? All I know is that is was so appealing at the garden center, I just couldn’t resist picking one up to add to the right side of the house. The pretty white flowers will be displayed on tall, arching stems from May to June.


3) Astilbe ‘Montgomery’



This lovely plant will produce scarlet-red flowers in large, plume-like arrangements – or so the tag tells me. But even without flowers, I like the lacy, green leaves. I picked up one and planted it on the right side of the house like the Dicentra above.


4) Trollius chinensis ‘Golden Queen’


Another popular perennial that I couldn’t resist for its lovely foliage and its pretty yellow flowers. I purchased two and planted them on the right side of the house.


5) Aquilegia alpine


Last week, I spotted some gorgeous columbines at a garden center near my home. But the price was more than I was willing to pay, so I left them behind. But lady luck was on my side a couple of days ago when I ran across a smaller-sized version of this lovely plant with a much more affordable price tag. So I scooped a couple up and took them home with me (of course, I paid for them first!). I planted them on the right side of the house.


6) Polemonium boreale ‘Heavenly Habit’


As if the right side of the house didn’t have enough purple flowers, I went ahead and picked up more; two more to be exact. I look forward to seeing the blooms on this lovely plant, which are on display from June to August.


7) Hydrangea macrophylla 'Nikko Blue'


I never thought I’d like Hydrangeas in the garden but it seems I do. I picked up this pretty plant because of the size it will become and because of its pretty flowers. I planted it on the side of the house that is slowly filling up.


Those are all the new plants for this post. The right side of the house to date:


It looks much better than it did just a couple of weeks ago. The plants are still too small to make much of an impact yet, but they’ll grow!

2 comments:

  1. Some wonderful additions to your garden. You will love the bleeding heart, I've got a very small white one and 2 very large pink ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crafty gardener, my bleeding heart is not full grown yet, but I'm in love with these plants because I've seen them in larger sizes at the garden centers.

    ReplyDelete