Tuesday, May 4, 2010

White Rice With Vegetables

I love rice, be it plain or with extra ingredients added to it, like vegetables.

The recipe below is one of my favourites for rice. I usually make a big batch of it and serve it more than once in the week. I discovered it at this link: http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/lowcalorie/lowcal73.html


White Rice With Vegetables

1-1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cups long-grain white rice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup bell peppers, chopped
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed (I add half peas/half corn)
1 tablespoon parsley

In a saucepan, heat broth to boiling. Stir in rice, and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in bell peppers and onions; return to boiling.


Cover and simmer about 15 minutes more or till rice is tender. Stir in peas and parsley; heat through.


Makes 5 servings.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Yummy rice, I had planned this for my Wednesday dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Martha !
    Now that is a great side dish recipe .. I know John and I would love it so I have to get this on paper or I will forget .. in "Duh?" mode this morning .. haha
    I'm hoping for rain even if it delays Millar .. oh well .. he knows I know he will finish the job .. eventually ? LOL
    Beautiful sunrise this morning : )
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That recipe sure makes an attractive dish with all those pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make the same dish often, just without the onions. Sometimes I add carrots and a bit of garlic though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crafty gardener, you will love this rice dish. It is amazing, and it goes well with just about any main course.

    ===========
    Joy, you have to try this. It's easy to make (my favourite way to cook) and you can serve it with just about anything. I always make a huge amount, so I can have enough for the week.

    Hey, not much rain, is there? Darn. I keep hoping for more than what we're gotten lately to force me indoors :) Or I'm going to have a gardening burnout!

    ============
    And it tastes wonderful, Beth! It's one of those side dishes that the whole family enjoys, which is terrific. It's often difficult to find something everyone will eat.

    ============
    Tatiana, I should try the carrots; that would add a wonderful flavour. Garlic, too, which I add to many dishes. Celery would probably work very well with this dish but the rest of the family doesn't like it, so it's out.

    ReplyDelete