Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Latest Perennials...

...and stuff like that there...

Ah yes, newbies for the garden. I know, I know... It’s been awhile since I wrote about new plants and you’re all depressed and suffering from ‘need-to-know-about-new-plants-but-haven’t-been-told-about-any’ withdrawal symptoms. So here I am.

The plant purchases have really slowed down, and although there haven’t been a lot of newbies, there are enough for two or three posts. Let’s start with this one.


1) Lysimachia punctata ‘Golden Alexander’



I love the variegated foliage on this lovely plant. And to top it off, I’m expecting some pretty yellow flowers all summer long. Well, maybe not this year since the plant is so young, but still. I bought one of these and made two plants out of it because I was able to divide it. Don’t you just love when you can do that? Anyhow, I placed one plant under my kitchen window and the other one on the right side of the house.



2) Heliopsis helianthoides ‘Summer Nights’


When I saw this at the garden center, I swear I had heart palpitations. I snatched it up, took it home and tucked it into my garden under my kitchen window. Can’t wait to see this one in bloom!



3) Helleborus × hybridus ‘Peppermint Ice’


I adore these plants, but they’re not that easy to find. In addition, when you do finally run across one, they’re expensive. I treated myself to one and planted it on the right side of the yard.



4) Houttuynia cordata ‘Chameleon’


Apparently, this plant spreads quickly, usually beyond where you’d like it to, so it may not have been the smartest choice. But I couldn’t resist the pretty leaves. What can I say? I’m a sucker for cool-looking foliage. I picked up one and added it to the right side of the garden.



5) Lobelia cardinalis


A plant that produces scarlet-red flowers that attract butterflies and hummingbirds is my kind of plant. I picked up one of these and planted it on the right side of my backyard.



6) Hosta 'Fire and Ice'


I love hostas. I could dedicate an entire flower bed to them. I picked up this really pretty one and it’s now growing happily in a huge planting area on the right side of my garden.



Well, that’s it for this post. Eventually I’ll get around to creating a post with photos around the garden. I have taken a lot of pictures, hundreds, in fact, but I haven’t sat down to sort them. It’s been too busy around here and I haven’t been free to create posts for my blog as much as I’d like. In time.

4 comments:

  1. It takes forever to go through photos. I love all your new plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Liza. I always enjoy bringing home something new. Eventually I'll get through my pictures. I'm just too busy these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there girl !
    I am just about to do an e-mail for you .. brain still struggling to wake up yet ? LOL
    I have almost everything here but not Fire and Ice .. that is a beauty but some where down the line I became obsessed with blue hosta .. aka Halcyon is repeated a lot !
    I can tell you very truthfully .. no matter how crowded your garden gets (and you have loads more room than I do) you WILL still feel that excitement over and over again .. it is like a kid at Christmas but we don't grow out of it .. it stays the same ! isn't that the most wonderful gift to have ? : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy, my dear, I tell you this is the most amazing year for me. I am having the time of my life. And even after so many years away from outdoor gardening, I still remember a lot. It's all coming back to me. Next year should be even more exciting because these baby plants won't be in their full glory until then. Either way, the baby plants are growing like weeds and there are flowers everywhere. I love it! Can't wait until clearance sales start popping up. Another period of total plant-buying madness...LOL...

    ReplyDelete