Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Newest Additions To The Garden

It’s been insanely, maddeningly busy these days and although I’m not behind on too many things, it’s been tough keeping it all together. I’ve spent a lot of time in the garden, which is really starting to come to life. The plant purchases have really slowed down but I haven’t finished writing about all of them on my blog. Below are a few new additions to the garden that I’d like to share with you.


1) Astilbe ‘Montgomery’


I’ve picked up a few Astilbe this season because I’ve discovered that they are perfect for adding some pretty flowers to those areas that don’t offer as much light as the sun-loving plants require. I have a few Astilbe ‘Montgomery’ plants already, but picked up two more that I added to the front of the house.



2) Lamiastrum galeobdolon ‘Hermann’s Pride’


I really like the attractive green and silver leaves, not to mention the pretty yellow flowers that are already in bloom. I picked up two and added them to the front of our home.



3) Astilbe ‘Hennie Graafland’


Yup, another type of Astilbe for the garden. Couldn’t help myself; it was the perfect fit for a couple of spots in front of the house. I bought two of these lovely plants.



4) Heuchera sanguinea 'Ruby Bells'


Another Heuchera to grace the garden. I picked up one of these and added it to the right side of the yard.



5) Trollius chinensis ‘Golden Queen’


I already have two of these planted on the right side of the house, but when I saw this one, a much larger size with flowers already blooming, I just couldn’t leave it behind. Plus, while we were at the garden center where I got it from, my husband said it was “his treat”. You don’t say no to a husband who is picking up the tab for plants. Ever.



I planted it on the right side of the house, but closer to the front where I can show it off.



(Incidentally, because the plant was so large, I was able to divide it in two. The second one was planted on the right side of the yard)

6) Aquilegia vulgaris Mellow Yellow


I’m also becoming quite fond of columbines. I bought one ‘Mellow Yellow’ and planted it up front where it now looks like this:



7) Weigela ‘French Lace’


I picked this up because of its lovely foliage. I’ve never grown a Weigela but how hard can it be? Hubby and I planted it in back of the house, along the fence on the left side of the yard.



Well, that’s it for this post. There are a few more plants to write about, but I’ll save them for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the flowers are nice and everything. But look at the grass! I'm drooling for a lawn now, thanks a lot Martha, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Liza, you are welcome to a good chunk of ours! I'm not a big lawn person, and there is way too much around our home. So, where do I mail it to? Ha ha...

    ReplyDelete