Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Pot Roast

I didn’t start making pot roasts until about 5 years ago. And when I finally did, I asked myself what the heck I’d been waiting for. It’s a meal that is easy to prepare with delicious results. There are a lot of recipes out there for this fabulous dish; below is one of my favourites.


Pot Roast

- Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium high heat. Season roast, brown all over in hot oil.


- Remove roast; set aside.


- Add 1 cup diced vegetables, such as carrot, onion and garlic.


- Cook until lightly browned, adding more oil if necessary.


- Stir in 1 to 2 cups liquid, such as red wine, broth, canned tomatoes or tomato or mushroom soup, stirring up browned bits. Return roast to pot.


- Simmer, covered tightly, in 325 degrees oven or on stove over low heat for about 3 hours or until meat is fork-tender. Add 3 cups vegetable chunks during final 45 minutes if desired. Skim fat from sauce and season to taste.

(This recipe is in a booklet I received from Canadian Beef)

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a big beef eater, but my husband LOVES roast beef. I make mine in a crock pot (with a recipe very much like yours)---it does make the house smell heavenly and it's really easy. Your roast looks wonderful, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Beth! I don't like a lot of beef. Personally I prefer chicken and even pork. But once in awhile I do enjoy making this meal because the meat is soooo tender and, like you said, the house smells heavenly! This is one of my favourite recipes for pot roast and I thought I'd share it with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pot roast, and like beth I do mine in the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should pick up a crock pot, crafty gardener. It's crazy that I don't have one when I enjoy cooking so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My recipe is similar too, I just add a ton of garlic (because we cook NOTHING without garlic), a bay leaf or thyme, and sometimes I add a tbsp of soy sauce for umami. It's my secret ingredient :)

    OH, I'll be honest, I hardly ever brown the beef, and I've never noticed a difference despite all the recipes telling you to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tatiana, I cook with a lot of garlic too. I find that it adds a wonderful taste to many meals. I'm curious about the soy sauce; I should try that. So much for it being a secret, huh? :)

    You never brown the beef? I never thought to try it that way. It would certainly save some time.

    ReplyDelete