Monday, July 19, 2010

Oh My, How You’ve Grown

I think one of the greatest pleasures in gardening is watching your baby plants grow into big, gorgeous specimens while under your care. Some of my own garden babies have shocked me by how large they’ve become since I placed them in the ground. Below are some before and after pictures of a few of my garden’s ambitious perennials.

1) Echinacea purpurea ‘White Swan’

When it was first planted:


What it looks like now:





2) Rudbeckia hirta ‘Marmalade’

When it was first planted:


What it looks like now:





3) Morden Sunrise (Roses)

When it was first planted:


What it looks like now:





4) Blue Girl (Roses)

When it was first planted:


What it looks like now:




5) Adelaide Hoodless (Roses)

When it was first planted:


What it looks like now:




6) Lysimachia ciliata ‘Firecracker’

When it was first planted:


What it looks like now:



7) Penstemon digitalis ‘Husker Red’

When it was first planted:


What it looks like now:



8) Monarda ‘Petite Delight’

When it was first planted:


What it looks like now:



9) Coreopsis grandiflora ‘Sunfire’

When it was first planted:



What it looks like now:




10) Leucanthemum (chrysanthemum) ‘Silver Princess’

When it was first planted:


What it looks like now:



And finally, here are before and after photos of the flower bed in the middle of my yard that we carved out in April of this year.

What it looked like when it was ready for flowers:


What it looks like today:




It’s amazing how fast those tiny little plants that you bring home from the garden center grow. It makes you feel like you’re doing something right.

5 comments:

  1. How lovely to see such wonderful progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty, Martha! I'd say for sure you're doing something right...and your gnomes have obviously also been hard at work. :-) They must be keeping the bugs away---my flowers look a lot more chewed up than yours. We've had a buggy summer here in the South.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes, crafty gardener; it's always exciting to watch a garden grow. A little patience is required as you wait for those baby plants to grow, but it's always worth the wait.

    ===========

    Beth, those gnomes have been working really hard. I'm very proud of them :) When I'm not around to look after things, they take over.

    The only bugs I've hard a lot of trouble with are the red lily beetles that have destroyed most of my lilies. I've been battling them for weeks and they don't go away. I actually had to get rid of most of my lilies because I'm just not in the mood for that much maintenance. But I haven't had much trouble with other bugs this year. I don't know if it's like that for everyone, or if it's because my garden is very new and the bugs won't really be aware of me until next year. Whatever the reason, I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's just wonderful, truly one of the best parts of gardening! And so many of them look really healthy and fully thriving. And I think our winters deal with most bugs that come our way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one good thing about our winters, Tatiana...if nothing else :) It's cold enough here in the winter to prevent bugs from becoming a huge problem.

    It's been a pretty good gardening season; I'm very pleased with how far my garden has come along. There's still a lot of work to do, and most of the plants won't be in their full glory until next year, maybe even 2 - 3 years later. But I'm much farther along than I was last year - and the garden in full of colourful flowers.

    ReplyDelete