Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Buttermilk Loaf Cake

I never would have discovered this awesome recipe if it wasn’t for the fact that I had leftover buttermilk (purchased for another meal) that I wanted to use up instead of tossing out.

So.

I searched the internet for recipes where I could put my buttermilk to use and VOILA! I ran across this one. Lucky me. And now, lucky you, cause I’m sharing it.


BUTTERMILK LOAF CAKE

Ingredients:

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
finely grated rind of 2 or 3 lemons (I don’t add this)


Preparation:

Butter a 10-cup loaf pan. Dust with fine, dry bread crumbs, and tap out excess crumbs. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter. Beat in vanilla. Add sugar and beat only until well mixed. Add the eggs one at a time, beating only until incorporated. Bear for about 1 minute more.

On low speed, add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, beating until incorporated after each addition. Stir in grated rind.

Turn into prepared pan and shake the pan a bit to level. Bake at 325 degrees on a rack 1/3 up from the bottom of the oven for about 1 hour and 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake tests done (check center of loaf to see if it’s cooked by inserting a knife through it). The top of the loaf should be richly brown.


Let cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from pan and place on a rack to continue to cool. Refrigerate (or freeze for about an hour) before serving.

Slice and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm...that looks so good, Martha. I know for sure I'd like anything with that much butter in it---it looks like it would be very rich and moist.

    Your agastache is so pretty---I've got to get some of that Blue Fortune. I love the way it smells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, this little loaf is just delicious. And yup, it's very rich and moist. One piece is more than enough in one sitting.

    And I love my agastache; it's the most ambitious performer in the backyard. And always full of bees!

    ReplyDelete