Thursday, July 8, 2010

Today's Trivia - Assorted

Let’s get right to this week’s interesting but useless information…

- 25% of the bones in your body are in your feet.

- Giraffes have blue tongues.

- 85% of all people killed by lightning are male.

- Slugs have four noses.

- The shark is the only fish that can blink with both eyes.

- Reports show that one trillion aspirins have been consumed in the last 100 years.

- The Eiffel Tower weighs seven thousand tons.

- 4.3 people are born every second.

- Less than one quarter of the people in the world are vegetarians.

- Ray Tomlinson was the first person in the world to send an email message.

- The scales on certain pinecones will close when rain is on its way.

- One in ten people lives on an island.

- The original English word for butterfly was flutterby.

- India has a bill of rights for cows.



- Popcorn has been a food product for over 6,000 years.

- A woodpecker can peck twenty times a second.

- Tooth enamel is the hardest substance in your body.

- The average human dream lasts 2 to 3 seconds.

- You use 200 muscles to take one step.

- The shortest verse in the bible consists of two words: “Jesus wept.” (John 11:35)

- Koalas never drink water. They get their fluids from the eucalyptus leaves they eat.

- The red bumps on a turkey’s head are called “caruncles”.

- Scientists say the higher your I.Q. the more you dream.

- In Venezuela and Peru people traditionally wear yellow underwear on New Year’s Day because they believe it will bring them good luck in the coming year.

- One in every 9,000 people is an albino.

3 comments:

  1. Another fun post, Martha. I can't believe that 1 in 9000 people are albinos, though. Doesn't that strike you as a LOT? It seems like we'd be bumping into them left and right if there are that many. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm that's a very good point from Liza - I'm surprised I've never met one. And I know of at least one famous koala who's the exception to that rule - remember the photos from Australias fires? They sure swept the internet. :) And I must have a great high IQ as I dream prolifically... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liza, I was thinking the same thing. I may have to look that up again. But I wonder if there are different forms/levels? And if the statistics also count carriers. But, yes, the number seems too high.

    ================
    Oh yeah, I remember those terrible Australia fires; I'm assuming the koala had no choice but to revert to drinking water since food was not available. Poor thing...

    Tatiana, chances are you're brilliant with all the dreaming you do :) I tend to dream quite often, but my dreams are sometimes really nutty or scary or just plain weird. Does that mean that I'm a mad genius? Har har har...

    ReplyDelete