Wednesday, August 25, 2010

It’s All About The Simple Things

After a few days of rain, we finally got to enjoy a beautiful, sunny day yesterday. I took advantage of the nice weather and spent the day outside catching up on some garden chores. Aside from deadheading and weeding, I worked on improving the soil in the flower beds by adding layers of fresh soil and compost. I actually began this job a couple of weeks ago and have been slowly moving forward, one flower bed at a time. Weather permitting, of course.

Anyhow, so there I was yesterday kneeling down beside some coneflowers as I worked on improving the quality of their living quarters when, through my peripheral vision, I noticed something fluttering around nearby. I thought it must be a bee or butterfly or wasp or something like that since I’ve been seeing these types of critters hanging around the backyard all summer. You know, because of all the flowers and stuff like that there for them to visit.

But when I turned around to see what was zipping around my garden, I discovered that it was not the usual suspects. Instead, it was a hummingbird. A tiny, adorable, sweet little hummingbird. It was zooming around, checking out all the floral treats I’ve planted for it this year. And as soon as I spotted it, it just stopped right in front of me for a few seconds, just 3 or 4 feet away, and looked at me before it flew away.

Well, I was just thrilled. My mouth dropped open and I gasped. It was the first time I’d ever had a hummingbird so close to me. After it flew away, I thought to myself: “This is what it’s all about, the simple things. Life’s simple pleasures; that’s what makes me happy in life.” Yup, the simple things...that’s what it’s all about...

I really wish I’d had my camera with me when the little hummer was checking me out. But even if I’d had it with me, would I have had enough time to snap a photo? Probably not. By the time my camera would have loaded up, that little critter would’ve been long gone.

So instead of a picture of yesterday’s visitor, I’ll just share some photos of pretty flowers. Better than nothing, no?











3 comments:

  1. Some beautiful blooms you got here water roots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute, Martha! I love hummingbirds. Someone told me they are good luck. I don't know about that, but they sure are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, MBT, it's been an exciting gardening season with lots of colour!

    ======
    Liza, I adore these little birds. I hadn't seen one all summer. I'm sure they've been coming around but I just hadn't gotten a glimpse of any. So it was really exciting to see one - and up close like that!

    ReplyDelete