Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sunflowers On The Horizon

I’m excited to report that there are flower buds on my sunflowers! Finally... It’s just a matter of time now before I see some flowers on these giants. Look how big they are:


I grew these amazing plants from seeds that I planted in late June; they are now over five feet tall, some of them still growing. That’s me in the photo; I’m about 5’4”.


Hubby posing with the sunflowers; he’s about 5’10” tall.


The stem is as thick as the stem on a young tree:



And the leaves? Huge!


I can’t wait to see the flowers, size and all. It’s going to be quite a show! I’ll make sure to take lots of photos and share them with you.

Stay tuned for more...

4 comments:

  1. Uh, Martha, is it just me, or does the hubby look a tad cranky about having to pose with the sunflowers? Usually people like that and smile. He's crossing his arms and not smiling. Was he like, "I'm not a yardstick, Martha"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha...Liza...something like that. But more like "I stepped outside to have a smoke break from work, NOT to post with sunflowers..." Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOLOLOL !!
    Martha girl .. George looks so PISSED ! LOL ..
    That is too funny .. hey wow on the size of these sunflowers ! Make sure to save some seeds from them so you can do it all over again next year .. and maybe have a few spare for me ?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy, my dear, you know as well as I do that you should never take up smoking time of a smoker. Har har har... I just HAD to add this picture to my blog; it's priceless. I hadn't even thought of saving some seeds, but I will. Thank you for reminding me! And you are absolutely welcome to some!

    ReplyDelete