Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Coolest Find Of The Summer

Well, I have to say that summer is ending in the most amazing way for me. First, I had the most wonderful and fulfilling gardening season, which I’d been anticipating for over 10 years – that’s how long I’d been away from any outdoor garden activity. Not only did I finally get back to one of my favourite hobbies, but I gardened until I could garden no more. I literally spent hours and hours outdoors each week playing in the dirt while soaking up the fresh air. Or as fresh as we can get these days.

So anyway, all that to say that it’s been a great season. And not only did it start off with a bang with all the cool plant purchases beginning way back in April, but it ends with a bang with the coolest find of the summer. This one:





Isn’t she adorable? This little girl came home with us this past Saturday from Pet Smart, which is a satellite adoption center for our local Humane Society. Interestingly enough, September 10 – 12 was PetSmart’s National Adoption Weekend. We didn’t know it at the time, but baby cat got a chance at a loving home, which is what the weekend was all about. So it’s all good.




We haven’t named her yet, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know. Nacho, who is not as thrilled about baby cat as the rest of us, has come up with some ‘interesting’ names but this is a family-friendly blog, so I can’t share them with you. I’ll leave it at that.

7 comments:

  1. Awww...she's a beauty, Martha. I'm sure Nacho will come to love his new sister in time. Maybe having another kitty around will help him remember he's a cat and not a ferret. :-)

    I'm so glad you're had such a good summer. I've enjoyed seeing your garden grow. I'd love to see a picture of the entire garden to see how it filled out. (Congratulations on the new camera, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, black and gray striped cats like that are the smartest of them all. Nice pick, Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh she's so CUTE! And yes, Nacho will get over it in time, he just needs extra TLC so that he knows he's not being replaced. Not sure about names but with Nacho maybe Chips? :)

    And your garden did fabulously, I enviously watched from the chilling prairie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, she is a cutie! Much more timid than Nacho was at that age, but she's getting more and more comfortable as the days pass. And yup, this little kitty will remind Nach that 'she's' a cat. (Our sweet Nacho is a girl...:)

    I'm planning to post some before and after shots of my garden over the winter months. I saved some pictures for the period of the year where things are really, really slow.

    =========
    Really, Liza? I'd never heard that. We'll just have to wait and see what this little girl is all about.

    =========
    Tatiana, she is the cutest little thing. And Nacho is much, much better. In fact, they've started playing together. Nacho is a very sweet and calm cat, so I knew it was just a matter of time. (Nacho is a girl.)

    Anyway, the garden has changed dramatically since we bought our home last year. I had a great time putting it all together.

    And I gotta tell you, I'd never be able to handle the weather in your area. I think I'd lost it at some point! I'm already not a fan of the long winters here; I can't imagine them being even longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to mention that I thought your suggestion about calling the baby cat 'chips' was really funny, Tatiana. I'll have to add it to the long list of names we have for her. We STILL haven't named her. Poor kitty...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww - little cats are so cute! Big cats are cute too, of course, but little ones so much more!

    Naming can be difficult, I know - our cat only got his name through a joke I made (which everyone else decided to take seriously)... and my cousin had a cat for months before she decided whether she was called 'Daisy' or 'Tessy'. Come to think of it, that cat is quite similar in colour to your new 'family member'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right, iveynettle; baby cats have the extra little something when it comes to cuteness. We still haven't decided what to call this little girl. We have a list of names but haven't really favoured one in particular. We'll have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete