Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Flowers, Flowers Everywhere...

You’d never guess by looking at my garden that the summer season is over because my garden, or rather, my plants, are happily blooming away, seemingly oblivious to the fact that the bitter Canadian-style winter is not too far away. Or maybe they just don’t care.

But hey, I’m not complaining, especially since I’m still enjoying some pretty flowers. Like the ones below:





















Not too shabby for this time of year, huh?

If my plants want to produce flowers until the bitter end, I say let them. Because once they die back, it’ll be months before I enjoy any outdoor colour.

4 comments:

  1. Your flowers are gorgeous, Martha---your garden looks WAY better than mine. Only my asters and mums are looking fresh now. And a few zinnias and cosmos.

    I don't think your flowers are oblivious to the coming bitter cold. I think they know what looms ahead and are simply blooming in defiance. A defiant beauty. Take that, Old Man Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha...you're right, Beth. They are being defiant! And I love them for it. I should get out there today and motivate them "Keep on growing, my lovelies; stick it to Old Man Winter!"

    I've had a wonderful gardening season. I've waited for over a decade to get back into this great hobby, but it was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, after a few nights of frost, I can say we are DONE. There are a few plants clinging to their blooms, but by and large fall is here. Although the next few days will be more reasonable 20 degrees rather than the 5 we've been having.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tatiana, we're still hanging on here; the garden, albeit tired, is still producing some flowers. The weather is quite comfortable these days, which I love. I enjoy the autumn season as long as there isn't too much rain combined with cold; then it's miserable. It won't be long before winter kicks in, so I hope this comfy period lasts for as long as possible. Not a fan of winter.

    ReplyDelete