Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Huh? September Already?

Can you believe it’s already September? Where did the summer go? I feel like I blinked and - POOF – it’s gone. You couldn’t tell by the weather that fall is around the corner (it’s been hot and humid for the past few days) but the calendar tells a different tale. It really is the start of the ninth month of the year, so happy September to all of you! Let’s hope it’s a good one.

And to celebrate the beginning of a new month, here are some pictures from my garden, a view to what’s growing on...


What can I say about Coreopsis grandiflora ‘Sunfire’ that hasn’t already been said by many other gardeners? That it hasn’t stopped blooming since April? That it’s one of the easiest plants to grow? That I love it? Yup, it's all of that and more.



Gaillardia Dwarf Goblin is the cutest little thing. It blooms continuously and makes very few, if any, demands. It’s definitely a gem in the garden.



It may be small in size (only about 6” tall) but Platycodon grandiflorus ‘Sentimental Blue’ produces large, beautiful flowers.



Rudbeckia hirta ‘Cherry Brandy’ is one of my absolute favourite plants in the garden. I’m not sure if it will return in the spring (I’ve read that it’s not the most reliable perennial) but I’d be happy growing it as an annual just to have it in my garden every year.



My Echinacea purpurea plants that I paid only two bucks a piece for were only a few inches tall when I brought them home in the spring. They’ve grown huge since then and are producing some of the most spectacular flowers in the garden. The plants were definitely a great bargain!



I’m not sure how much more I can praise Agastache ‘Blue Fortune’. It’s the most amazing plant I’ve ever grown. It flowers all season, requires very little care and grows like a weed. I’ve had to cut it back a few times as it’s threatened to take over the world. I’m not kidding! This plant is a must in the garden.


And the bees just love it.



Rudbeckia hirta 'Sonora' is another gem in the garden, constantly blooming, asking for nothing in return. But like its cousin ‘Cherry Brandy’, it may not return in the spring. We’ll just have to wait and see. In the meantime, it’s happily flowering away.



I picked up Chelone oblique sometime last week but didn’t bother writing about it on my blog. Until today. I don’t have much to say about it yet because it’s too new in the garden for me to have formed an opinion about. In any case, I can say that it has beautiful green foliage and pretty, bright pink flowers. It’s supposed to be long-lived, which is great.



Also a fairly new addition to the garden, Anemone hybrida (x) 'Honorine Jobert' has decided to show me how happy it is by getting ready to put on its late summer/early fall display of poppy-like flowers.


The flowers are so cute.



The two sedums on the right side of my yard are getting ready to put on their fall display. One of these is Sedum x Autumn Joy; not sure which one. It doesn’t really matter; I love them both.




Lamium maculatum ‘Anne Greenaway’ has turned out to be an outstanding plant. I was worried that it would spread too far, too fast, but so far it’s well-behaved, growing bushy and compact, and flowering on and off all season long.



Hemerocallis ‘Stella de Oro’ is one of those plants that can be summarized by one word: perfect. Every garden should have one of these undemanding daylilies.



Trollius chinensis ‘Golden Queen’ is supposed to be a spring/early summer bloomer, but mine decided to go for round two as the fall approaches. I say “bring it on!”



Gaillardia 'Dazzler' is a plant that puts a smile on your face with its bright, daisy-like flowers. It also blooms for a very long time, which just adds to its appeal.



There’s no need to say anything about Hibiscus 'Luna Red'. The picture pretty much says it all, don’t you think? Okay, I’ll just say one thing: “WOW!”



Heliopsis helianthoides ‘Loraine Sunshine’ has beautiful foliage and lovely flowers. A win-win plant in the garden!



You really can’t go wrong with Rudbeckias. This one (Autumn Sun) produces lovely, bright yellow flowers that attract butterflies.



My friend Joy recommended Morden Sunrise when I mentioned I wanted to add some roses to my garden. Boy am I glad I took her advice. This is, by far, one of my best performers. It’s been blooming on and off all season long.



Weigela 'French Lace' took its time growing but when it started, WHAM, it took off like a weed. Not only has the plant grown quite large, it’s also showing off some lovely ruby-red flowers.



My Eupatorium ‘Phantom’ is quickly becoming one of my favourite perennials in the garden. It’s growing into a beautiful plant that keeps on flowering away. The bees love this one, too.




Well, that’s it for today, folks. Summer may be coming to an end, but my garden is still happily blooming away. I can dig that.

No comments:

Post a Comment