Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Fabulous Foliage In The Garden

It’s no secret that my number one attraction when it comes to choosing indoor plants is foliage. But when it comes to outdoor plants, it’s a slightly different story. Although I like perennials with pretty foliage in my garden, it’s the type of flowers they produce that I’m mostly interested in.

Still. Every now and then I pick up outdoor plants for their foliage, like the ones below.


1) Weigela 'French Lace'


It took awhile for me to decide what type of Weigela I wanted in my garden. In the end, I settled on one with variegated foliage.



2) Hosta 'Fire and Ice'


Can you believe I picked up this gorgeous plant for only two dollars?


It makes pretty flowers, too.


Pretty cool, huh?



3) Fallopia japonica 'Variegata'


I love the leaves on this plant; they remind me of one of my favourite houseplants: pothos.

4) Houttuynia cordata ‘Chameleon’


This plant grows quickly, and spreads quite fast. And although I have to keep an eye on it to keep it from growing beyond where I want it to, I just can’t resist its gorgeous foliage.



5) Pulmonaria ‘Raspberry Splash’


Although it’s still quite young, and will probably look better and better as it gets bigger, my Pulmonaria ‘Raspberry Splash’ is growing happily where I planted it.

6) Brunnera macrophylla ‘Jack Frost’


Not the most flattering photo, especially since it’s taken late in the season and the plant is starting to look tired – and stressed by the colder night – but I had to include my wonderful ‘Jack Frost’ in the mix. I have two of these growing in front of our home, both of which will grow bigger and better-looking as the years go by.


There are other plants in my garden with interesting foliage, but I didn’t snap photos of them in time; the autumn season arrived with its colder nights and those plants look too tired to bother photographing. There’s always next year...

The great thing about plants with pretty leaves is that when the flowers start to fade at the end of summer, you can always count on some fabulous foliage to keep the garden interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! The Fallopia actually look more "lacy" than the Weigela. The red splotches on your Houttuynia somehow remind me of cross-processed lomo images. I enjoyed your pictures. Great set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bom; I love pretty foliage, especially this time of year when the blooming perennials stop blooming! And I always love taking photos in the garden.

    ReplyDelete