Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Garden’s Death Row

As we moved further and further into the fall season, I began to remove annuals from their containers and plant them in – what I named – my ‘sunflower circle’. It’s called the sunflower circle because my sunflowers pretty much dominated that space. Those suckers grew huge; their stems could give the stems of the baby trees in my yard a run for their money.

Anyhow.

Between the sunflowers, I inserted whatever annuals were still alive. The reason I did that is:

a) I wanted to extend their blooming period. Annuals in containers succumb much faster to frosty weather than the ones in the ground.

b) It’s much easier to get rid of them when the frost kills them. If they’re in the ground, all I have to do is dig/yank them out and throw them in the compost bin. But if they’re in containers, I have to dig/yank them out AND clean the pot they occupy. So I save a step. Not that it would have been such a big deal, but still. You gotta cut corners somewhere.

So a-ny-way...

When I finished adding the annuals to the sunflower circle, it dawned on me that everything planted in that space is biding its time until the grim reaper claims it. Thus the reason why it’s considered my garden’s ‘death row’.

Here’s what my garden’s death row looks like (or rather, looked like; the plants are all now up in botanical heaven):

Lots of pretty colours:

And flowers:


Just thought I’d share this part of my garden with you guys.

Plus, I couldn’t think of anything else to post about today. So this is it.

3 comments:

  1. That is, without a doubt, the most beautiful Death Row I've ever seen. :-)

    By the way, I, being a lazy gardener, plant annuals in my pots that self-sow so that I get flowers year after year even with annuals. But I'd guess that your winters might be a little too cold for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name - my kind of sense of humor :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya, Beth! Not bad for a death row, huh? Well, all these lovely plants are now in botanical heaven...sigh... The backyard really looks like it's ready for a snooze.

    Yup, our winters don't allow for your method of growing annuals year after year. I wish it did; that would be just wonderful. A lot of gardeners up here in the north start annuals from seed in early spring, but I've never done that. Maybe at some point I'll try my hand at it. Can't hurt.

    ===========
    Tatiana, a sense of humour is that best vitamin of my day. Without it, life wouldn't be as much fun!

    ReplyDelete