Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Pumpkin Pie

One of my favourite things is pumpkin pie, a traditional North American sweet dessert that is eaten during the fall and early winter, especially during the holidays of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Below is a recipe I make now and again that the whole family loves. (I found it on the back of a can of E.D. Smith Pure 100% Pumpkin)

PUMPKIN PIE

What you need:

- 1/2 can (28 oz/796 mL) Pure Pumpkin
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) evaporated milk
- 1 9-inch (23 cm) pie shell



What you do:

Beat eggs slightly in a medium size bowl.



Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Mix until combined.




Stir in evaporated milk then pour into pie shell.




Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Decrease temp. to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes.


Devour!


You might want to consider making two because they won’t last long!

3 comments:

  1. I think I use to same recipe but I usually bump up the spices a little and go a little under on the sugar (less well packed basically). This year I also had to use a 1/2 cup of 1% milk instead of the evaporated milk and it worked well.

    I usually do it as a double recipe - you get two pies and it's easier than trying to split the can of pumpkin in half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy a good pumpkin pie, and that looks pretty darn good. Although I love a homemade crust :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I alter the recipe too, Andrew. I don't like it too sweet, so I add a little less sugar. I have another recipe for a lighter version (for people watching their weight), which I may post at a later date.

    ================
    Tatiana, I love pumpkin pie, and like you, I do prefer a homemade crust. Which one I use depends on how much time I have to spare and whether I'm in the mood to make one from scratch.

    ReplyDelete