Thursday, October 14, 2010

Today's Trivia - Movie Quotes

Movies are part of our lives and our culture, and some of the quotes that are heard in them stay with us forever. Below are a few memorable movie quotes that you might recognize:


“You never had a rope around your neck. Well, I’m going to tell you something. When that rope starts to pull tight, you can feel the Devil bite your ass.”
Tuco (Eli Wallach)
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, 1966

“Say hello to my little friend."
Tony Montana (Al Pacino)
Scarface, 1983

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Rhett Butler (Clark Gable)
Gone with the Wind, 1939

"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."
Don Vito Corleone ((Marlon Brando)
The Godfather, 1972)

"Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."
Dorothy Gale (Judy Garland)
The Wizard of Oz, 1939

"Here's looking at you, kid."
Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart)
Casablanca, 1942

"Go ahead, make my day."
Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood)
Sudden Impact, 1983

"May the Force be with you."
Han Solo (Harrison Ford)
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, 1977

"You talkin' to me?"
Travis Bickle (Robert De Niro)
Taxi Driver, 1976

"Love means never having to say you're sorry."
Jennifer Cavilleri Barrett (Ali MacGraw)
Love Story, 1970

"E.T. phone home."
E.T. (Pat Welsh)
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, 1982

"I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"
Howard Beale (Peter Finch)
Network, 1976

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."
Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins)
The Silence of the Lambs, 1991

"Bond. James Bond."
James Bond (Sean Connery)
Dr. No[7], 1962

"There's no place like home."
Dorothy Gale (Judy Garland)
The Wizard of Oz, 1939

"Show me the money!"
Rod Tidwell (Cuba Gooding, Jr.)
Jerry Maguire, 1996

"I'll have what she's having."
Customer (Estelle Reiner)
When Harry Met Sally..., 1989

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."
Martin Brody (Roy Scheider)
Jaws, 1975

"I'll be back."
The Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger)
The Terminator, 1984

"Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth."
Lou Gehrig (Gary Cooper)
The Pride of the Yankees, 1942

"If you build it, he will come."
Shoeless Joe Jackson (Ray Liotta (voice))
Field of Dreams, 1989

"Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks)
Forrest Gump, 1994

"We rob banks."
Clyde Barrow (Warren Beatty)
Bonnie and Clyde, 1967

"I see dead people."
Cole Sear (Haley Joel Osment)
The Sixth Sense, 1999

"It's alive! It's alive!"
Henry Frankenstein (Colin Clive)
Frankenstein, 1931

"Houston, we have a problem."
Jim Lovell (Tom Hanks)
Apollo 13, 1995

"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?"
Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood)
Dirty Harry, 1971

"You had me at 'hello'"
Dorothy Boyd (Renée Zellweger)
Jerry Maguire, 1996

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know."
Capt. Geoffrey T. Spaulding (Groucho Marx)
Animal Crackers, 1930

"A boy's best friend is his mother."
Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins)
Psycho, 1960

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works."
Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas)
Wall Street, 1987

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."
Michael Corleone (Al Pacino)
The Godfather Part II, 1974

"Say 'hello' to my little friend!"
Tony Montana (Al Pacino)
Scarface, 1983

"Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me... Aren't you?"
Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman)
The Graduate, 1967

"Elementary, my dear Watson."
Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone)
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, 1939

"Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!"
George Taylor (Charlton Heston)
Planet of the Apes, 1968

"Here's Johnny!"
Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson)
The Shining, 1980

"They're here!"
Carol Anne Freeling (Heather O'Rourke)
Poltergeist, 1982

"Hasta la vista, baby."
The Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger)
Terminator 2: Judgment Day, 1991

Striker: "Surely you can't be serious!"
Rumack: "I am serious... and don't call me Shirley."

Ted Striker and Dr. Rumack (Robert Hays and Leslie Nielsen)
Airplane!, 1980

"Yo, Adrian!"
Rocky Balboa (Sylvester Stallone)
Rocky, 1976

"A martini. Shaken, not stirred."
James Bond (Sean Connery[6])
Goldfinger[29], 1964

"I feel the need—the need for speed!"
Lt. Pete "Maverick" Mitchell and Lt. Nick "Goose" Bradshaw (Tom Cruise and Anthony Edwards)
Top Gun, 1986

"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary."
John Keating (Robin Williams)
Dead Poets Society, 1989

"Nobody puts 'Baby' in a corner."
Johnny Castle (Patrick Swayze)
Dirty Dancing, 1987

"I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!"
Wicked Witch of the West (Margaret Hamilton)
The Wizard of Oz, 1939

"I'm king of the world!"
Jack Dawson (Leonardo DiCaprio)
Titanic, 1997

“All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.”Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson)
The Shining, 1980

"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."
Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart)
Casablanca, 1942

There are many, many more famous movie quotes, some of which I may add at a later date. Hope you enjoyed these.

2 comments:

  1. Those were really fun, Martha! I was familiar with most of them, but a few were new to me.

    I had to laugh at the "Airplane!" quote, "Don't call me Shirley" because Tom is always saying that to me, as I often begin a sentence with "Surely..." That movie is one of the few movies that make me laugh out loud. By the way, did you ever seen the spin-off TV series of that called "Police Squad?" (At least, I think it was a spin-off). Same stupid humor...which, of course, means I find it hilarious. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was familiar with most of them too, Beth, especially the ones from older films. And I'm old enough to remember the 'Don't call me Shirley' on Airplane. That movie was so darn silly. And yes, I did the the TV series 'Police Squad'. Seems there are a lot of 'stupid' humour type things in the past. Remember 'Get Smart'? I saw an episode of it recently and had to laugh at how corny it can be. When I was much younger, it didn't seem THAT corny. Times change...

    ReplyDelete