Monday, November 8, 2010

Humanity Can Sink Low

It never ceases to amaze me how low humanity can sink. Every time I think I’ve heard it all, I discover that I haven’t.

Take this incident, for example:

On September 10, 2010, a 16-year-old girl who’d been attending a party on a rural property east of Vancouver, B.C. was drugged (by a substance that is commonly-known as the date-rape drug) and raped repeatedly by several young men and teenage boys, all of which were fellow partygoers. As a mother of two daughters, the crime itself disgusted and disturbed me. The very idea that young men can commit such an act is beyond vile. What kind of person participates in a gang rape without giving it a second thought?

And then it gets worse...

Apparently, onlookers (as many as a dozen of them) snapped photos of the assault and then posted them on Facebook. They were subsequently posted from one social profile to another. And even though Facebook quickly removed the horrifying images, and the RCMP contacted Facebook users who had posted these images and demanded they remove them (some members complied, others refused), it didn’t help. Copies were downloaded and have been spreading like wildfire across the internet.

First of all, it’s beyond my comprehension how anyone can simply stand by and watch as a young girl is being assaulted without intervening, or calling for help. But to also snap photos of the horrible crime and share them on the internet? An act that continues to persecute the young victim and her family? This is sickening. This is beyond socially corrupt.

Yes, it never ceases to amaze me how low humanity can sink.

3 comments:

  1. As the mother of a young daughter, reading this fills me with disgust, despair, and anger. I just cannot comprehend this level of depravity. I also cannot comprehend the fact that people are allowed to post something like this without penalty. I think every single person that took those pictures should be proscecuted. As you say, the victim and her family are being victimized over and over. And that is so wrong.

    Sometimes, I really hate the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is absolutely terrible. You do not need to have a daughter to know that everything that happened is wrong on so many levels. What kind of upbringing did these people have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, Beth; it angers me beyond anything. And totally disgusts me. What are the parents of these young boys doing about this? I know that Facebook removed the images, or at least they've been trying to. I read somewhere that they keep popping up. The RCMP is contacting the people posting these photos and telling them to take them down, but even so, it's too late. The pictures have been downloaded and they're flying across the internet. It's sick. I do believe charges are being laid against the boy (or boys) that posted the photos to begin with. I'll have to follow up on this case and see what comes out of it. I hope some boys are charged - heavily.

    ====

    Bom, that was my thought too: What kind of upbringing did these people have? And what are the parents of these boys doing about this? It's definitely wrong on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete