Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Reminiscing About Annuals In The Garden

The annuals are long gone from my garden, but thanks to my collection of digital photos during the gardening season, I can go back and visit them...virtually...

Let's take a look at some of the flowers I grew this year...

Pretty Dahlias. They make beautiful flowers and I really enjoyed having them around, but I don’t think I’ll be adding any to my garden next year. They bloom in the spring and in late summer, but during the hottest periods, they look...well...like crap.


I will definitely add Magilla perilla (a coleus look-alike) to my garden next year. The plant grew effortlessly all season long, and looked fabulous every day of the week, rain or shine.


Begonias were another success. I’ve become particularly fond of the yellow ones and will be adding a few to the front of my home next spring.


My absolute best performers were my marigolds. I just love these plants. Next year I will add an assortment of them in different areas around the house.


I had no trouble at all with my geraniums, but I’m not sure I’ll be buying any next garden season. They’re not bad plants or anything, but I am kind of bored of them.


Osteospermums. Cute plants that make pretty little flowers. Never again, though. They look great at the garden center, so you end up bringing them home, and then...nothing. A flower here and a flower there, but nothing worth writing home about. For the majority of the time, you’re growing a foliage plant. And I have enough perennials in the ground to do that for me.


I’ve always loved petunias, and they’ve always done particularly well. This year they didn’t. Not sure why. Still. I will add a few to the garden again next year. Can’t help myself.


The most impressive thing in my garden this year was my circle of sunflowers. They were spectacular! The big, bold, beautiful flowers were huge! And they lasted for several weeks. Some of the plants grew as tall as 8 feet! I plan to grow many more next year.


Previous to this year, I’d never grown Salvia ‘Red Hot Sally’, or any type of salvia for that matter. So I really didn’t know what to expect. Well, the plant started off slowly and then suddenly took off like a rocket, staying in bloom continuously. Very lovely. I’ll have to pick up a few of these next year.


I was mesmerized when I saw the gerberas at a local garden center; they were so beautiful. So I picked up two medium-sized plants, potted them up and placed one on each side of our deck stairs. Well. They looked good for the first three or four weeks and then they spent the remainder of the summer looking miserable and unattractive. And they didn’t produce that many flowers. A real waste of money. Never again.


And last, but not least, gazanias! These are the most beautiful flowers I’ve ever seen. I will pick up some more next year for my garden, but there are a few things I have to do differently. 1) I will plant them in large groups. They don’t seem to get very big, and a plant alone doesn’t make much of a visual impact. 2) I will plant them in the ground. They didn’t do all that well when I had them in containers, but when I planted them in the garden towards the fall season, they flourished. Anyway, I’ll grow them again next year with a few changes. Grow and learn.


That’s it for today. I’ll be back some time in the near future with more photos taken in the garden. And my opinion of them.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there Martha I just dropped a little e-mail to you : )
    You had some wonderful annuals this past year and I remember you getting so excited about the gazanias (spell check is yelling at me .. but you know what I mean right ?) .. and those sunflowers .. every time I think of them I remember George's face and that look he had ? hahaha
    Pretty post to remember our annuals with !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grow and learn indeed! I hope you collected as many seeds as you could!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Joy! I've been really low key around here. I don't really like this time of year, although the weather has been amazing. Anyway, I had a wonderful gardening season with lots of pretty annuals included. I'm looking forward to doing it again next spring!

    -------
    Liza, as bad as it sounds, I didn't collect any seeds. I know, I know, it's awful. As hard as I worked all season long in that garden, I didn't take the time to collect some seeds. I hope that next year I'll be more organized about this part of gardening.

    ReplyDelete