Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Lilium ‘Star Gazer’

Apparently, ‘Star Gazer’ has been one of the most popular lilies for a long time. I wouldn’t know that since I’ve only recently gotten back into the outdoor gardening scene after a 12-year hiatus.

I picked up three of these lilies sometime in the summer because they were on sale, not because of their popularity. When I picked them up, the flowers hadn’t opened up yet. After a couple of weeks or so, my garden was graced with these lovely blooms:

The star-shaped flowers are definitely showstoppers.

They’re quite large, and pleasantly fragrant.

These lovely liliums are easy to grow. They do well in full sun and part shade, and prefer rich, moist soil on the acidic side. They should be staked to avoid wind damage. And you should keep an eye out for red lily beetles, little demons that devour lilies!

I look forward to these plants with their awesome blooms emerging next garden season. Minus the red lily beetles.

5 comments:

  1. Good Morning Martha : )
    These are just about my favorite aside from Casa Blanca .. those two are the only ones I have in my garden .. and they are beautiful .. and I too HATE that little red demon that devours these gorgeous plants .. the war will rage yet again come that time .. eekkk !
    Joy : )
    PS .. I just sent an e-mail to you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stargazers are gorgeous lilies and very fragrant too. I had one but lost it to that dreaded red lily beetle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice stargazers. The colors are so vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are just beautiful, and they are really easy to grow. I love lilies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy, I was so pleased with this lily. And the red lily beetles didn't find this one, so I was happy. They devoured many of my other lilies. I ended up removing a lot of them after spending weeks battling with them. Oh, how I hate those things!

    ======

    Crafty gardener, I hope to get through at least a few garden seasons with this lily before the red lily beetles find it. But I'm not holding my breath. They devoured many of my other lilies in the garden. Grrrrr....

    ----------

    Bom, the flowers are even prettier in person. They really are a beautiful sight in the garden.

    -----------

    Tatiana, lilies are about my favourite flowering bulbs in the garden. I'd fill up my garden with them if only those dreaded lily beetles didn't exist. Of if they were easy to battle. They're such a menace!

    ReplyDelete