Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chicken Kapama

This is a popular Greek recipe that I have enjoyed my whole life. My mother made it for her family and now I’m making it for my own. This freezes very well, so make a huge batch for future meals.


Chicken Kapama

Ingredients:
1 3 to 4 lb chicken cut into serving pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons butter
2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
1 can 6 oz tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup water
3 sticks cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1 cup onions, minced
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
1 pound macaroni
1 cup grated kefalotiri
(You can use parmesan or romano cheese instead)

Preparation:
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and cinnamon. In a Dutch oven, melt 2 T butter and brown chicken until golden on all sides.

In a bowl combine tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and water and pour mixture over chicken. Add cinnamon sticks and bay leaf.

In a medium-sized frying pan, melt 2 T butter and saute onions, and garlic until onions are wilted. Add to chicken.

Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until chicken is tender, 50 -60 minutes. In the last 20 minutes, cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and empty into serving dish.

Brown remaining butter and pour over macaroni. Place macaroni on a large serving platter. Place chicken and sauce over macaroni and sprinkle with grated cheese.

Source: The Complete Book of Greek Cooking

(FYI: Kefalotiri is a Greek cheese that is pale yellow in color and has irregular holes. It is a hard cheese made from sheep and goat's milk. Kefalotiri is generally used as a grating cheese and served on top of cooked dishes. It has a strong flavor and sharp aroma.)

3 comments:

  1. This looks like a very yummy dish :) Thought you'd find it interesting that I'm typing this in the Kingston airport - after the memorial for my grandmother, I travelled back with my sister on Sunday. We shopped downtown all day yesterday - you guys are having such fabulous weather. LOVE Kingston.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds awesome, especially the browned butter on pasta part. Will definitely have to try once I acquire the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jane - I love Kingston, too! We've only been here for 2 years, but not a day goes by that I'm not thrilled we made this move. I'm glad you enjoyed your time here.

    And this dish is delicious! I've been enjoying this since I was a child.

    ========

    @Tatiana - I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do. It's soooo good. And the browned butter on pasta part is a simple thing to do that produces very yummy results.

    ReplyDelete