Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Lovely Morden Sunrise

I know I shouldn’t praise any of my plants until I’ve grown them for awhile, but I feel I should make an exception for Morden Sunrise Rose. Not only does it produce beautiful flowers, it’s extremely cold hardy and deals very well with hot, dry days.


It’s hard to describe the colour of the wavy petals because they seem to change as they age, as well as look different on hot and cooler days. They can be orange-yellow. Or peachy-apricot with a yellow center. Or yellow with a hint of pink. But no matter the colour, they are beautiful.


Basic Facts:

USDA Hardiness: Zone 3-8
Mature size: 3' x 3'
Foliage: Dark green, glossy
Fragrance: Slightly fragrant
Blooming Period: This is a repeat bloomer from June until frost
Pruning Instructions: Blooms on new wood; prune early to promote new growth
Other Info: Resistant to black spot and mildew


If you want beautiful roses in your garden, plant a Morden Sunrise. You’ll be glad you did.


5 comments:

  1. Named, I'm sure, for beautiful Morden, Manitoba where there is an agricultural research institute that creates new hybrid roses (among other things). Hardy to cold, heat and dryness? Sounds like Manitoba to me! Except when it floods, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the color of orange sherbert! The yellow center appears to glow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so pretty, and even the photo captures the color changes of the petals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Crafty Gardener, I am so pleased with these roses. They're a great addition to the garden.

    ===========

    You got it, Debra She Who Seeks. Proud that it's a Canuck invention! [waves imaginary Canadian flag]

    ===========

    Orange sherbert! I've been trying to figure out what it reminds me of and you hit the nail on the head.

    ===========

    Tatiana, every time I go out to snap photos of these roses, I don't know what colour they'll be. It all depends on the weather, the time of day, the age of the flowers... It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete